BRYN DU GOVERNANCE COMMISSION
Regular Meeting Minutes of Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Members present: Candi Moore, Chair, Larry Bicking, Stewart Dyke, Vince Engel, Reed Fraley, Jurgen Pape, Tony Piehowicz and Bruce Cramer, Exec. Dir. The meeting was called to order at 7:00pm.
Public Comments: Kris Burkett shared her interest in being considered as a candidate for appointment to the Commission representing the Chamber of and her current activity as a volunteer at the Mansion.
Steve Mershon provided an update on his efforts developing community support and fundraising for the Veterans Memorial followed by a walking tour and discussion of the project. (old business, below)
Minutes: The minutes of February 23, 2011 were approved, with one correction to the circulated draft, following a Motion by Larry, and a Second by Vince.
Financial Report: Reed circulated and reviewed his monthly financial report highlighting several trends supporting use and prior year comparisons. Vince Moved and Jurgen Seconded that the Treasurers report be accepted. The motion carried.
Executive Director’s Report: Bruce reviewed his report, attached and incorporated herein. He highlighted improvements to the second floor, east wing, which provide for conference/meeting room use at an estimated cost of $6,000 +/-.
A. Veterans Memorial: After thorough discussion it was agreed to proceed with implementation of the Veterans Grove project including the following;
- 1. Accept rock donated by Bob Lavender.
- 2. Procure an18x10 inch bronze plaque to be countersunk mounted on rock. (Estimated cost of plaque: $554 installed).
- 3. Plaque to read:
IN RECOGNITION OF THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE GREATER GRANVILLE COMMINITY WHO HAVE NOBLY SERVED IN THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA GREATFULLY ERECTED BY THE CITIZENS OF GRANVILLE
- 4. Limit recognition of donors to a central or common location on the Mansion grounds or the Veterans Grove with the exception of 2 memorial benches (noted on plans) with donor recognition brass plaque.
- 5. Authorize Bruce to purchase flagpole - $1,700 +/-. Moved: Larry, Seconded: Vince Motion carried.
- 6. Proceed with implementation of “Phase 3” garden/memorial developments at estimated cost of $14,000. Moved: Reed, Seconded: Vince. Motion carried.
- Foundation Grant/Gardens: Candi announced the Granville Foundation has awarded six thousand dollars for the continued improvement/implementation of the Formal Gardens and Memorial project during the current year.
- Parking Lot: Following a spirited discussion Vince Moved and Stewart Seconded to authorize Candi and Jurgen to proceed with development of bid documents using the Village Engineer as originally planned and to select and award a contract to the best bidder in an amount not to exceed estimated costs. The motion carried.
- Senior Center: Candi reviewed recent developments of the proposed relocation of the Granville Fellowship to the Carriage House. In view the Fellowships recent decision to move to a more westerly location plans for the Carriage House will continue for general community use, including possible senior citizen use in the future. Bruce will respond to a request from a donor to return their 2008 donation to the Fellowship/Senior Center – Carriage House project.
- F. Vince provided an up date on planning meetings for the up coming Art and Wine Festival as well as the fall Experience Granville Festival. A volunteer recognition and recruitment event has been scheduled for March 27th. To support both events and to establish an ongoing volunteer corps at the Mansion.
- A. Expiring Board Appointment; Bruce reviewed his communications with the Chamber of Commerce relative to an appointment to replace Tony.
Tony reviewed his interest in serving on the board and the increasing demands of his business and other assignments, indicating his willingness to remain a volunteer at Bryn Du.
There being no further business the meeting was adjourned by the Chair at 9:50pm.
The next regular meeting is scheduled for April 27, 2011