Granville Community Calendar

Bryn Du Minutes October 22, 2014

BRYN DU COMMISSION

Regular Meeting Minutes of Wednesday, October 22, 2014

 

Members present:       Candi Moore, Chair, Reed Fraley, Stewart Dyke, Jurgen Pape, Larry Bicking, Nate Willison eand Bruce Cramer, Exec. Dir. The meeting was called to order at 7:00. 

Public Comments:       Two Polo teams were here to present their proposals to the Board. Horace Henriot spoke on behalf of the Play Polo Club. He gave us background on the club and its members some of which are international members along with their mission for the future.  He stated that they would like to share in the use of our field with the Columbus Polo Club. He feels that the mowing and care of the field should be handled by a third party.  Others from this group praised the beauty of Bryn Du’s field and their desire to play here stating that they feel more polo is better economically for Granville. Then Sheila Everett from the Columbus Polo Club shared a little of their 30 year history here and of this past season and how they also enjoyed the beauty of Bryn Du’s field. One of her concerns was possible overuse of the field on both Saturdays and Sundays by the two clubs. She felt that the mowing was handled fine this past season and that they didn’t like the idea of a third party mower using their equipment or paying for a third party.  Candi then asked “Why can’t you both use the field,” Sheila stated that there were concerns brought up by spectators about safety and the feeling that perhaps they weren’t welcome by the other group.  Bruce later asked for our mowers back, they have evidently been somewhere to be worked on. Other comments were about the mowing and donations for charities.  Our position was stated that we would like to keep polo here as an educational and community event and that we hope these two teams can work things out.

Minutes:                      Larry moved to approve the August 27, 2014, minutes.    Jurgen seconded the motion, the motion carried. There were no meeting minutes for September.

Financial Report:        Reed reviewed the financial report for September, 2014. Jurgen moved to accept the September financial report, and Larry seconded the motion, the motion carried. 

Executive Director’s Report:  Bruce reviewed his report for the month. He said we finally got the new doors we had been waiting on for the Carriage House; however we are still waiting on the punch list items. We have done several types of business meetings so far in that building.  Regarding the recent homecoming picture takers that seemed to invade during a full wedding weekend (one in the Mansion and one in the Field House), we will in future contact the schools to have them discourage this visit by parents and kids.

Old Business:    Community Garden Discussion – Jurgen reported that he and Bruce had met with Mitch Claggett. Mitch is going to develop a plan and cost estimate to stabilize the gazebo building in that area. They also found that there is water, sewer, electric and gas. Bruce will call Mitch to see if he has moved forward with anything on the game plan, so we have something by next meeting.

Maintenance Projects Update and Priority Discussion – Pool deck, Candi will ask Keith if he has come up with plans for this yet. Bruce needs to have a brainstorming session to see if there are other major projects that need to be done. Ideas to think about: 2nd floor of Carriage House renovation, fence repainting, extra parking at East side of property. 2nd floor of Mansion renovation - will need elevator. Which building makes the next step most feasible.

New Business:  Update on Art & Wine Plans – They are at this point two separate events. They have till Dec 1st to let us know which way it will go, together or apart.

Update on Polo – Discussion on both club’s proposals. We would like to see them work it out. We would like the USPA to mediate between them to resolve their issues instead of us. We also will need to find out about mowing specifics, who is going to take care of the field?  The Play Polo, LLC said that November 7th is their deadline for planning and advertisement purposes. It was suggested that perhaps we make two different contracts due to the education aspect of the Columbus Polo Club and their Sunday game playing.

Begin 2015 Budget Discussion – begin thinking about items for the budget.

Other: Radon – Candi asked Bruce to check with Steve Stilwell about how commercial buildings deal with Radon issues.

Executive Session:  Reed moved to go into Executive Session for the purpose of discussing Personnel matters.  Candi seconded the motion. The roll call for attendance is as follows: Larry Bicking -yes, Jurgen Pape –yes, Reed Fraley - yes, Stewart Dyke - yes, Candi Moore - yes, Nate Willison-yes. Staff was dismissed for the session. After executive session the meeting was adjourned.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:18 p.m.

The next regular meeting is scheduled – December 3rd      

Employee Payroll / Compensation

The Village has thirty-six (36) full-time employees, 16 regular part-time employees and seaonal employees. Village Personnel Policy

Go to My Pay Stub and login.