VILLAGE OF GRANVILLE
SPECIAL COUNCIL MINUTES
September 27, 2012
CALL TO ORDER (by Mayor Hartfield at 6:10pm)
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
Those responding to the roll call were Councilmembers Johnson, Montgomery, Vice Mayor Barsky, Mayor Hartfield, Manager Stilwell, BZBA members Burge, Gill, Kemper, Manno, Smith and Planning Commission members Burriss, Hoyt, Mitchell and Ryan.
Vice Mayor Barsky moved to excuse Councilmember Lerner and O’Keefe. Second by Councilmember Johnson. Motion passed.
Mr. Burriss moved to excuse Planning Commission member Mr. Hawk, Second by Ms. Hoyt. Motion passed.
Manager Stilwell welcomed everyone to the work session. He indicated that no decisions would be made during this work session. Introductions of all participants was made
Manager Stilwell indicated that the purposed of this work session was to identify better ways to serve the community by beginning a process to clarify the Village Code and made it a document that was clear, concise and reflection of the community. The members would look at what things were currently working, what things were challenging and how to move forward. He also provided that group with information regarding the historic growth data of the community.
Items that work well
- Staff well prepared and provide well prepared packet materials
- Applicants well prepared by staff and seem to understand process
- Posting of yard signs
- Board/Commission working well a group, productive and attending meetings
- Consistency in staff reports
- Basic controls are necessary
- Provide an opportunity/forum for residents to be heard
- Board/Commission members prepared and professional
- Code available online
- Information provided to Board/Commission/Council members early
- Email notifications of meeting times and agendas
Items that need improvement
- Staff reports need recommendations
- Pros and cons of an application/issue
- Over regulation of trivial applications that are sent to Board/Commission
- Follow-up to insure compliance
- Better definition of oversight responsibilities
- Improved training opportunities
- Publicize website information
- Complicated, confusing and inconsistent processes
- Review and update zoning map
- Develop a clear understanding/agreement as to into of zoning code including the variance process, property rights, neighbor support and dependence on services
- Update sign code
- Clear expectations between Board/Commission and Council
- Coordinate multi-board review process
Issues involving variance applications
- Recognize the difference in approving variances for new projects versus replacement
- Rules are in place for a reason – limit number of variances
- Too many trivial issues
- Clarify text intent and spirit
- Criteria clarification
- Streamline process
- Location versus use
- Quantify BZBA variances and history of actions
Manager Stilwell asked the participants if changes should be made to the zoning code. The group suggested that a good first step would be to address and make changes to the issues discussed this evening and continue to simplify and clarify the zoning code and the zoning process.
Planner Terry addressed the group. She provided several hand-outs including an analysis of the number of zoning applications submitted to a number of surrounding communities and an outline of the zoning code sections that staff intends to update through 2013.
Manager Stilwell indicated that staff would begin to move this process forward and encouraged all participants to contact Village staff with any suggestions, concerns or questions.
Mayor Hartfield commented that this meeting resulted in a good exchange of ideas in an open process. She felt this meeting would move the process forward and continue to open the lines of communication. She appreciated everyone’s hard work and thanked everyone for attending.
Councilmember Johnson made a motion to adjourn. Second by Councilmember McGowan. Motion carried.