ORDINANCE NO. 06 - 2013
AN ORDINANCE TO AMEND SECTIONS 1157.14, 1163.03, 1169.03 AND 1185.01 OF THE CODIFIED ORDINANCES OF THE VILLAGE OF GRANVILLE, OHIO
WHEREAS, the Council of the Village of Granville, Ohio, has determined that it is necessary to amend the Zoning Code of the Village in order to protect the general health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of the Village.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED by the Council of the Village of Granville, Ohio that:
Section 1. Existing Sections 1157.14, 1163.03, 1169.03 and 1185.01 are hereby amended as follows:
1157.14 ACCESSORY USES AND STRUCTURES.
Accessory uses and structures shall only be permitted in association with a principal use or structure. The maximum cumulative size of accessory structures in the Suburban Residential District, Planned Unit Development District, Suburban Business District, Village Gateway District or Village District, including swimming pools, shall not exceed forty percent (40%) of the gross floor area of the primary use (livable area for residential uses), or a 864 square foot footprint for detached garage(s), shed(s) or other storage structures, whichever is less.
(a) The cumulative maximum size of the occupied area of a detached garage(s), shed(s), or other storage structures(s) in a residential zoning district shall not exceed 864 square foot footprint, and shall not exceed a height of thirty (30) feet.
(b) Accessory uses and/or structures within non-residential zoning districts shall not exceed twenty-five percent (25%) of the gross floor area of the primary use.
(c) All accessory structures, including swimming pools and associated decking, shall be constructed within the permitted buildable area of a lot, behind all applicable setback lines, and to the rear or side of the principal structure.
(d) In no case shall an accessory structure or building be located within a recorded easement.
(e) In order to protect property values and encourage neighborhood stability, an accessory building shall have an exterior that is harmonious in appearance to the principal building on the parcel or lot.
(f) The maximum number of accessory buildings on a single lot or parcel shall not exceed two, of which only one may contain more than 144 square feet of gross floor area.
(g) Accessory buildings shall not infringe on sanitary or water systems. The locations of accessory buildings shall comply with all applicable Licking County Health and/or Ohio Environmental Protection Agency regulations.
(h) Accessory buildings shall be appropriately guttered and graded so as not to adversely affect neighboring property owners.
(i) No commercial uses shall be permitted from an accessory building unless otherwise approved as part of a home occupation or commercial/industrial rezoning request.
1163.03 DEVELOPMENT STANDARDS.
(a) Lot and Building Requirements by Sub district.
Min. Frontage* Total Max.
Lot To A Side Min. Bldg. Max.
Zoning Area R-O-W Front Side Yard Rear Lot Height
District (Sq. Ft.) (Feet) (Feet) (Feet) (Feet) (Feet) Coverage (Feet)
SRD-A 20,000 90 35 14 30 50 15% 30
SRD-B 10,000 75 30 12 26 40 20% 30
SRD-C 8,000 65 30 10 21 40 25% 30
* Frontage applies to all publicly dedicated roadways, constructed to the Village Street Construction Standards.
(b) Parking and Accessory Buildings.
(1) With the exception of a single-family housing unit driveway, no parking shall be permitted within the front yard setback.
(2) No driveway or parking area shall be within five feet of a side lot line; or ten feet for multi-family dwellings.
(3) No driveways or parking areas shall be within ten feet of a rear lot line.
(4) For accessory buildings, such as detached garages: minimum yard requirements shall be the same as required for main structures, except in all cases the minimum distance between an accessory building and the rear property line shall be fifteen feet.
(c) Site Development Requirements. In all cases all applicable requirements of the sign, parking, landscaping and subdivision regulations shall be met.
(d) Site Plan Required for Conditional Uses. Except for home occupations, and unless waived by the Planning Commission, a site plan shall be required for conditional uses that indicate:
(1) A traffic and parking system plan that details points of ingress and egress, parking areas with the spaces numbered, access drives and pedestrian walkways. The plan shall be so designed to minimize conflict points between pedestrian and vehicular movements. Walkways shall be designed and built in a manner that provides for consistency and continuity of character and materials. Minimizing the number of curb cuts within the lot frontage and joint curb cuts between adjacent uses, for multi-family units shall be encouraged.
(2) Storm drainage runoff collection points shall be indicated.
(3) Outdoor trash container systems shall be specifically located and screening shall be provided to enclose such containers from view.
(4) A landscape and outdoor lighting plan.
(5) The applicant shall design and provide a program to control other nuisances related to the carrying out of the land use.
(e) Planning Commission Approval Required.
(1) In any application where an addition, expansion, renovation or remodeling to an existing structure is proposed, if the new enclosed square footage is greater than 20% of the existing structure, the application must follow the guidelines of the Architectural Review Overlay District (AROD). This includes all development requirements outlined in Chapter 1161 and review and approval by the Planning Commission.
1169.03 DEVELOPMENT STANDARDS.
(a) Lot Requirements.
(1) Minimum lot area: none.
(2) Minimum lot width: none.
(3) Minimum front yard: thirty-five feet.
(4) Minimum side yard: none, except when abutting another district, in which case the minimum side yard shall be fifty feet.
(5) Minimum rear yard: none, except when abutting another district in which case the minimum rear yard shall be fifty feet or as specified above.
(b) Building Requirements.
(1) Maximum building height: as determined by the Village Planner but not to exceed a safe height which may be recommended by the Fire Chief with due consideration given to the type of building construction and the life safety equipment to be contained within the building.
(2) All above lot requirements shall also apply for all accessory buildings.
(c) Site Development Requirements.
(1) All applicable requirements of the sign, parking, landscaping and subdivision regulations shall be met.
(2) A traffic and parking system plan shall be required that details point of ingress and egress into and out of the property, parking area with number of spaces labeled, access drives and pedestrian walkways. The plan shall be so designed as to minimize conflict points between pedestrian and vehicular movements.
(3) Minimizing the number of curb cuts within the lot frontage and joint curb cuts between adjacent uses shall be encouraged.
(4) Storm drainage runoff collection points shall be indicated. Outdoor trash container systems shall be specifically located and screening shall be provided to enclose such containers from view. Furthermore, the applicant shall design and provide a program to control other nuisances related to the carrying out of land use.
(5) All service and delivery shall be made to the rear of the structure or use, except under unusual conditions, for which service can be made to the side of the structure.
(6) A landscaping and outdoor lighting plan.
(7) In addition to the above requirements, the Village Manager and/or his/her designee shall have the right to request additional information from the applicant and may attach conditions to the approval as necessary to meet the objectives of this Zoning Ordinance and the requirements of health and safety.
1185.01 SWIMMING POOL REQUIREMENTS; DEFINITIONS.
(1) A "private swimming pool," as regulated herein, means any pool, pond, lake or open tank that is constructed for the purpose of swimming. No such swimming pool shall be allowed in any use district except as an accessory use to a residence or as a private club facility and unless it complies with the following conditions and requirements.
(2) "Exclusive private use" means that the pool is intended and is to be used solely for the enjoyment of the occupants of the principal building of the property on which it is located and their guests.
(b) Distance Requirements. The pool may be located anywhere on the premises except in front yards, provided it shall not be located closer than ten feet to any property line of the property on which located; provided further, that pump and filter installation shall be located not closer than twenty feet to any property line.
(c) Fencing. The swimming pool, or the entire property on which it is located, shall be so walled or fenced at a minimum height of five (5) feet to prevent uncontrolled access from the street or from adjacent properties.
(d) Drainage. Adequate provision for drainage shall be made subject to approval by the Village Manager or his designee.
(e) Lighting. Any lighting used to illuminate the pool area shall be so arranged as to deflect the light away from the adjoining properties.
(f) Permit Required. No person, firm or corporation shall construct or install a swimming pool or make any alteration therein or in the appurtenances thereof without having first submitted an application and plans therefore to the Village Manager.
Section 2. All previous existing sections inconsistent with the revisions above are hereby repealed.
Section 3. This ordinance shall become effective upon the earliest date allowed by the laws of the State of Ohio and the Charter of the Village of Granville.
Passed this 20th day of March, 2013.