Granville Community Calendar

Ordinance No. 06-2014





            WHEREAS, the Council of the Village of Granville, Ohio, has determined that it is necessary to update Chapter 924Water Regulations and Charges of the Village.

            NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED by the Council of the Village of Granville, Licking County, Ohio that: 

Section 1.   Chapter 925 “Water Regulations and Charges” is rescinded in its entirety. 

Section 2.   Chapter 925 “Water Regulations and Charges” is adopted as follows:


Water Regulations and Charges



925.00    Definitions.                                                  925.10    Meter reading and billing.

925.01    Water supply, ownership and                          925.11    Water system capacity charges.

               control.                                                       925.12    Service outside municipality.             

925.02    Tampering with water system or                      925.13    General rules for charges and

               violation of water system rules.                                  payment.  

925.03    Water main classification.                               925.14    Rates for residential and business

925.04    Water main extensions.                                               consumers.                          

925.05    General rules for water line                             925.15    Rates for users outside the

               extensions.                                                                  municipal limits.                            

925.06    Permits.                                                        925.16    Special water use charges.                                            

925.07    Services.                                                       925.99    Penalty.                                       

925.08    Metering.                                                        

925.09    Fire protection service and fire        




                                                          CROSS REFERENCES

                                   Water pollution control - see Ohio R. C. Ch. 6111

        Power to provide and regulate water system – see Ohio R. C. 715.08, 717.01, 743.01

                       Tampering with hydrants, pipes or meters; unauthorized connections –

                                      see Ohio R. C. 4933.22; GEN. OFF. 541.08



925.00 Definitions


(a) "Air gap separation" means the unobstructed vertical distance through the free atmosphere between the lowest opening from any pipe or faucet supplying water to a tank, plumbing fixture, or other device and the flood level rim of the receptacle.


(b) "Approved" means that a backflow prevention assembly, device, or method has been accepted by the supplier of water and the director as suitable for the proposed use.


(c) "Auxiliary water system" means any water system on or available to the premises other than the public water system. These auxiliary water systems shall include used water or water from a source other than the public water system such as wells, cisterns or open reservoirs that are equipped with pumps or other prime movers including gravity.


(d) “Available frontage or frontage” means the frontage for all parcels, which abut the water main.  On corner parcels, the frontage shall be the shortest frontage that abut a street right-of-way.  Parcels already abutting a water main shall not be considered as part of the available frontage.


(e) "Backflow" means the flow of water or other liquids, mixtures, or substances into the distributing pipes of a potable water supply from any source other than the intended source of the potable water supply.


(f) "Backflow prevention device" means any assembly, device, method, or type of construction intended to prevent backflow into a potable water system.


(g) "Booster pump" means any device intended to increase the in-line water pressure.


(h) “Capacity fees” are fees that are assessed on a one time basis when a customer desires to connect to the water system.  These fees pay for capital improvement cost associated with the water treatment plant and distribution system.


(i)     "Consumer" means the owner or person in control of any premises supplied by or in any

manner connected to a public water system.


(j) "Consumer's water system" means any water system, located on the consumer's premises, supplied by or in any manner connected to a public water system. A household plumbing system is considered to be a consumer's water system.


(k) “Corporation stop” means a threaded male fitting designed to screw into the tapped water main.  The one-piece fitting incorporates a shut-off valve.


(l) “Cross-connection" means any arrangement whereby backflow can occur.


(m) “Curb stop and box” means a box and shut-off valve located near the street right-of-way or property line.


(n) “Deduct Meter” is a meter that is located after the primary meter and meters water that has been measured by the Primary Meter and does not enter the municipal wastewater system. Water measured by the Deduct Meter is deducted from the total water measured by the Primary Meter to calculate the net sewer charge.


(o) "Degree of hazard" is a term derived from an evaluation of the potential risk to health and welfare.


(p) "Director" means the director of environmental protection or the director's duly authorized representative.


(q) "Double check valve assembly" means an assembly composed of two single, independently acting, check valves including tightly closing shut-off valves located at each end of the assembly and suitable connections for testing the water tightness of each check valve.

(r) "Double check-detector check valve assembly" means a specially designed assembly composed of a line-size approved double check valve assembly with a specific bypass water meter and a meter-sized approved double check valve assembly. The meter shall register accurately for only very low rates of flow and shall show a registration for all rates of flow.


(s) "Health hazard" means any condition, device, or practice in a water system or its operation that creates, or may create, a danger to the health of users.


(t) "Human consumption" means the ingestion or absorption of water or water vapor as the result of drinking, cooking, dishwashing, hand washing, bathing, showering, or oral hygiene.


(u) "Interchangeable connection" means an arrangement or device that will allow alternate, but not simultaneous, use of two sources of water and includes an approved reduced pressure principle backflow prevention assembly or an approved reduced pressure principle-detector assembly on the public water system side of the connection.


(v) "Person" means the state, any political subdivision, public or private corporation, individual, partnership, or other legal entity.


(w) "Pollution hazard" means a condition through which an aesthetically objectionable or degrading material, which is not dangerous to the public water system or health of users, may enter the public water system or portion of a consumer's water system.


(x) "Potable water" means water intended for human consumption.


(y) "Premises" means any building, structure, dwelling or area containing plumbing or piping supplied from a public water system.


(z) "Process fluids" means any fluid or solution which may be chemically, biologically or otherwise contaminated or polluted in a form or concentration that would constitute a pollutional system, health or severe health hazard if introduced into the public water system or portion of a consumer's water system. This includes, but is not limited to,


(1)  polluted or contaminated waters;

(2)  process waters;

(3)  used waters originating from a public water system which may have deteriorated in                                              sanitary quality;

(4)  cooling waters;

(5)  contaminated natural waters taken from wells, lakes, streams, or irrigation systems;

(6)  chemicals in solution or suspension;

(7)  oils, gases, acids, alkalis, and other liquid and gaseous fluids used in industrial or    

      other processes, or for firefighting purposes.


(aa) “Process waters” means used waters originating from a public water system which may have deteriorated in sanitary quality.


(bb) "Public water system" has the same meaning as in rule 3745-81-01 of the Administrative Code.


(cc) "Reduced pressure principle backflow prevention assembly" means an assembly containing a minimum of two independently acting check valves together with an automatically operated pressure differential relief valve located between the two check valves. During normal flow and at the cessation of normal flow, the pressure between these two checks shall be less than the supply pressure. In case of leakage of either check valve, the differential relief valve, by discharging to the atmosphere, shall operate to maintain the pressure between the check valves at less than the supply pressure. The unit must include tightly closing shut-off valves located at each end of the assembly and each assembly shall be fitted with properly located test cocks.


(dd) "Reduced pressure principle-detector assembly" means a specially designed assembly composed of a line-size approved reduced pressure principle backflow prevention assembly with a specific bypass water meter and a meter sized approved reduced pressure principle backflow prevention assembly. The meter shall register accurately for only very low rates of flow and shall show a registration for all rates of flows.  


(ee) “Right of Way” means the right to build and operate a road or utility on land belonging to another.


(ff) "Service connection" means the terminal end of a service line from the public water system. If a meter is installed at the end of the service, then the service connection means the downstream end of the meter.


(gg) Service line” means the connection to the water main and the water line that extends from the corporation stop to and including the curb stop and box.


(hh)"Severe health hazard" means a health hazard to users that could reasonably be expected to result in significant morbidity or death.


(ii) "Supplier of water" means the owner or operator of a public water system.


(jj) "System hazard" means a condition posing an actual or potential threat of damage to the physical properties of the public water system or a consumer's water system.


(kk) "Used water" means any water supplied by a supplier of a public water system to a consumer's water system after the water has passed through the service connection and is no longer under the control of the supplier.


(ll) “Village” means the Village of Granville, and any authoritative member such as the Village Manager, Utilities Director or Water Superintendent.


(mm) “Water main tap” means a threaded opening made into the Municipal water main for the acceptance of a corporation stop.


(nn) “Water Rate” means a rate or fee used for a public water supply.  These rates are utilized to operate and maintain the water system.


(oo) “Water service outside municipality” means water service furnished to consumers in contract areas or water service authorized by Council for consumers in non-contract areas outside the municipality.


(pp) "Water system" means a system for the provision of piped water or process fluids and includes any collection, treatment, storage or distribution facility used primarily in connection with such system.


(qq) "Yard hydrant" means a device that is located outside of a building, equipped with a valve mechanism that controls the delivery of potable water and is not designed to supply a fire department pumper.




(a)  The public water supply system of the Village of Granville, including all wells, pumping and treatment equipment, storage tanks, water mains, valves, fire hydrants, meters and services, is owned and operated by the Village of Granville under the control of the Village Manager and his duly authorized agents or Village employees.  Such control shall include all piping from the municipal mains to the curb box or to where the municipal water is finally discharged freely at atmospheric pressure.


(b)  No person, firm or corporation shall make or maintain a physical connection between the Village’s public water system and any other sources of water or other liquid.  No spigot or outlet connected to the Village’s water system shall also be physically connected to a sewer or drain, nor shall such spigot or outlet be below a free overflow or submerged.  An air gap separation must be present. If such a connection is made, it shall be considered as a cross connection, and if not removed, it shall be just reason for discontinuing service.


(c)  The Village does not guarantee consumers full volume, fixed pressure, fixed chemical quality or an effective continuous supply of water, such matters being subject to the varying conditions that may affect the operation and maintenance of the mains, services, pumping stations, reservoirs and other parts of the water system.  No claim shall be considered for damages of any nature alleged to have arisen from changes in pressure, volume, chemical quality or any other fluctuations or interruption of water service.  The Village, however, in case of accident or necessity, which requires the interruption of the supply, endeavors to notify its customers in advance.




(a)  No person shall tamper with or remove any meter seal or insert a meter bypass without the permission of the Manager or his authorized agents.


(b)  No person shall operate, open or otherwise tamper with any valve, curb stop or other device, after the same has been closed for violation of any rule or regulation of the Village; or unlawfully secure a supply of water through such valve, curb stop or other device after the same has been closed for the violation of any rule or regulation of the Village or in any way take water for private use unlawfully.


(c)  No person shall put filth, animal matter, drugs, chips, shavings or any other non-potable substance into any municipal potable water reservoir, bathe or swim therein.     


(d)  The penalties herein are in addition to the penalties provided by the criminal laws of Granville and the state and making payment herein shall not in any way relieve any person from criminal prosecution.




(a)       Distribution main - any water main or main extension intended primarily to serve

properties or premises abutting the street, road or way in which it is laid.


(b)  Trunk main - any water main not less than eight inches in diameter intended primarily to carry water for the supply of distribution mains


(c)       Service line - a pipe tapped into a water main for the purpose of serving private premises.  Fire line - non-potable, static pressure line constructed for fire suppression only.


(d)      Installation of all mains and lines shall be in accordance with Village Construction Material Specifications as amended.




Except as specifically provided by ordinance of Council, all construction of water main extensions and water service branches in streets and ways, not already supplied with water, shall be in accordance with one of the plans set forth herein:


(a)   Plan No. 1: Payment of Entire Cost in Advance.  Any one or more property owners may request the Manager to determine the feasibility and the estimated cost of the construction of a proposed water extension to serve the premises.  If the Manager approves the proposed extension and determine the estimated construction cost, such property owners may deposit with the Municipality a sum equal to such estimated cost and the Village shall thereupon proceed with the subject construction.  Any surplus in the deposit over and above the construction cost shall be refunded to the owner or their agent.  Should the construction cost exceed the deposit amount the owner or owners shall pay this excess amount and no water service shall be rendered from the extension until the cost is paid in full.


(b)   Plan No. 2: Construction by Owner.  The Village may permit or require the owner or owners to arrange for the laying of water main extensions by private contract to be under the supervision of the Village.  In any such case, the Village shall require a deposit in the sum of three percent (3%) of the total estimated cost as a guarantee against defective workmanship or materials.  Such deposit, less any sums expended by the Village for repair or replacement of defective work or materials, shall be refunded one year after the water main extension has been placed in service.  No other refund or payment shall be made.  Materials and plans used for water main extension must be approved by the Village.


(c)   Plan No. 3: Assessment in Accordance with Ohio Revised Code.  The owners of property to be served by a proposed water main extension may petition for, or Council may authorize, the construction of such extension and the assessment of the cost thereof in accordance with the provisions of the Ohio Revised Code.


(d)   Plan No. 4: Construction Authorized by the Village.  If, in the opinion of the Manager, it is necessary to extend a water main through an area not suitable for immediate development or an area the ownership of which is such as to make Plans 1, 2 and 3 undesirable, the Manager may then authorize construction of such main and charge a front foot rate for tapping the same in addition to the regular service branch charge, as provided in this chapter.  The front foot rate shall be the same for all premises involved and shall be sufficient to ultimately return the entire cost to the Municipality except that in the case of a trunk main, the front foot rate shall only return to the Municipality such an amount as would have constructed a main of sufficient size to serve the area with water and fire protection.  The installation of a service line to serve each lot with water shall be required for any of the above water main extension plans.


(e)       Payment for water improvements must be made to the Village before gaining access to the water system.




(a)  No extension of a water main shall be approved for less than the entire right-of-way frontage of the property served and the necessary length from the existing main to that frontage.


(b)  Plans for all water system main construction shall be drawn by a registered engineer.


(c)  All water mains shall be installed to plan and profile in accordance with standard specifications of the Village and be approved by the Manager on advice of the consulting engineer and the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency.


(d)  The Village and consulting engineer shall in all cases specify the size and location of the water main to be installed as well as the number and location of valves, fire hydrants or other appurtenances thereto.


(e)  The Manager, on the advice of the consulting engineer, may designate any water main as a trunk main.  Where mains are to be installed to serve both trunk and distribution requirements, the installation cost shall be divided between the Municipality and the developers/owners of the abutting property, with the owners paying the cost of constructing a line of sufficient size to serve the area with water and fire protection (a minimum of eight inches). Where a water main extension is required by the Municipality to be installed larger than eight inches in nominal diameter, the Municipality shall pay the difference in the cost of the pipe, fittings and valves between the installation of an eight inch water main and the water main installed.


(f)  All water mains extended or installed under these rules and regulations shall, upon being supplied with water, become the sole property of the Municipality and all maintenance, repair costs and charges shall be assumed by the Village.        


925.06  PERMITS.


(a)  Any property owner, firm, corporation or contractor desiring a new or enhanced service line to the municipal water mains shall make application in person or by agent at the municipal office for such connection and sign a contract for water service.  Total charges for such permit, including capacity fees, tap fees, etc., shall be paid at the time of application.  The application for a permit shall be reviewed by the Manager and Utilities Director.  Notification of approval or disapproval shall be given within seven (7) working days after receipt of the application.


(b)  A permit for a water service line to serve a property or premises shall be issued only after a County Health Department plumbing permit has been issued.


(c)  Contractors and tradesmen for building construction shall pay a monthly flat rate water charge of fifty dollars ($50.00) per month or fraction of month for each unit of residential construction.  Such charge shall begin on the date that water is first turned on at the building site and shall continue until the Village is notified that the final plumbing inspection has been made by the County Health Department and the premises are ready for water meter installation.


(d)  No permit shall be issued for a service line to serve any premises unless such premises abut an adequate sized main installed across the entire frontage to be served.  A permit for a service line may be refused if, in the judgment of the Village, the water main is of insufficient size to supply the additional water demand and maintain satisfactory service to established consumers.


(e)  No person shall make any extensions or alterations for water service to any premises until a written permit from the Manager's office for each separate job is first obtained.


925.07  SERVICES.


(a)  The existence of a service line to private property shall bind the owner thereof to comply with the water rules and regulations of the Municipality and shall be evidence of his guarantee of all water rents and assessments even though a tenant occupies the property.


(b)  The service line from the main to the property line curb stop shall be installed by a bonded contractor at the property owner’s expense.  The contractor shall furnish all supervision, labor, equipment, tools, pipe fittings, paving materials and any miscellaneous items necessary to complete the water tap of the main and installation of the service line up to and including the curb stop and box, which shall be located as near the property line as practicable.  All work is to be performed in compliance with the Village’s Construction Materials Specifications.


(c)  The service branch from the water main to the point of connection with the building plumbing shall be installed by the property owner or his agent, at the property owner’s expense, and insofar as possible, shall be in a straight line. 


(d)  All single living unit dwellings, for which municipal water service is required, shall be individually provided with water through a service line equipped with a shut-off valve and meter according to the Villages Construction Materials Specifications.  There shall be but one such dwelling or building on a service line and each service line shall be metered separately.  The service line to each such dwelling or building shall have a separate and distinct curb stop located outside the premises, directly adjacent to the premises and on a public right-of-way.      


(1)  When multi-family or multi-unit structures are to be constructed and individual metering is requested, each unit shall have a separate tap into the water main, water meter and curb stop.  The water capacity fee shall be paid to the Village based upon the size of water tap serving each unit.  Easements must be provided as required by the Village.


(2)  When multi-family or multi-unit structures are to be constructed and one central meter is requested to serve those units or structures and a single tap will be required, the curb valve and meter are to be installed as close as possible to the water main tap serving the premises.  The water capacity fee shall be paid to the Village based upon the size of the water main tap serving the premises. Easements must be provided as required by the Village.  Proper tap size and number of units/structures to be served shall be approved by the Village and constructed per village specifications.


(e)  The Village of Granville shall determine the size of a water service line required to provide adequate service to all living units.


(f)  Whenever a break or leak occurs in a service line between the main and the curb box, the repair shall be at the Village’s expense and completed as soon as possible.  If such a break or leak occurs back of the curb box at any place upon the premises supplied, the property owner shall have the break or leak repaired at the owner’s expense.  Failure to make repairs may result in water being turned off and the property owner charged for the estimated quantity of water lost.


(g)   Any person, firm, corporation or water user may discontinue water service by proper notice to the Municipal office, be relieved of their responsibility when the water is turned off at the curb box and the account cleared on the records of the Municipality.


(h)   Any property owner or his duly authorized agent desiring water service from an existing service line must sign for such service at the municipal office before such service shall be provided.  Water service shall be refused an applicant or premises owing for previous service or assessments. 


(i)    Backflow prevention and cross-connection control is required by the Village to ensure water quality. Rules 3745-95-01 through 3745-95-08 of the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency Rules and Regulations for Public Water Systems are in effect, as were effective November 26, 1980, except that “Director,” as defined in Rule 3745-95-01(W) means the Utilities Director of the Village or his duly authorized representative and further provided that “public water system” as defined in Rule 3745-95-01(T) means the Village’s public water system. 


(j)    Implementation of dual check assembly meeting, ASSE 1024 Standards with an expansion tank on residential dwellings, will be required on all new replacement water service lines and new water services after November 1, 1994.


Implementation of dual checks, meeting ASSE 1024 Standards with an expansion tank on residential dwellings, will be required wherever a potential cross connection is found to exist and where there is a potential second water source to a facility.


(k)  If a water service is abandoned, it must be abandoned at the water main and the corp stop by either shutting it off or removing it from the water main at the property owner’s expense,


925.08 METERING.


(a)   The appropriate sized water meter with generator and radio remote shall be installed by the Village at the property owner’s cost of which is to be paid by the property owner including the cost of the meter, fitting, etc., plus twenty percent (20%). After the initial installation, the water meter is then owned and maintained at the Village’s expense.


(b)   Water meters may be installed either inside the building or residence or in an approved meter pit on the outside of the building.  The Village shall specify the meter location.


(c)   Each meter assembly shall include shut-off valves on both sides of the meter. Both shut-off valves are the property owner’s responsibility to maintain.


(d)   Inspectors, meter readers and employees of the Village, whose duty it may be to enter a private premise to examine meters, pipes or other fixtures used in connection with the Municipal water supply, shall be equipped with a proper badge or such other credentials as the Manager may deem necessary to identify them as agents of the Village.  Such inspectors, meter readers or employees authorized by the Village shall be granted free access at all reasonable hours to all parts of the building for the purposes of inspecting meters, examining fixtures and observing the manner in which the Village water is used.  In case any authorized inspector, meter reader or employee is refused admittance to any premises or shall be hindered or prevented from making such examination, the water shall be turned off and not turned on again until free access is given and the fee of fifty dollars ($50.00) is paid.


(f)       The Village shall, on its initiative, undertake to test and replace any meter which in its

judgment is registering incorrectly, without the consent of the property owner.  The Water Division shall not be responsible for breakage of pipes or valves occurring during removal or installation of a meter where such breakage is due to old or faulty plumbing.


(f)   Upon request from an owner or customer and completion of an agreement to pay for test charges, the Village shall remove any residential meter to the meter shop for test.        

If, upon examination and test, it is found that the meter registers over the tolerance limits of plus or minus 2% of the average flow at a standard flow rate of ¾ gpm, 2 gpm, and 8 gpm, it shall be considered inaccurate and a new meter will be installed at Village expense. The most recent water charge shall be adjusted on the basis of the test and there will be no charges for testing. If the meter is found to be accurate, the meter will be put back into service and the customer will pay the test fee of $50.  All meters larger than 1” will be tested for accuracy by an independent tester.


(g)      Meters damaged by private abuse, misuse (including freezing), accident or any act of carelessness shall be replaced by the Village at the expense of the owner. 




(a)   Applicants for connections to the Municipal mains, for the purpose of obtaining a supply of water for a sprinkler system, must first furnish plans and specifications of the same to the Village for review and approval with all plans being in compliance with the Village Construction Materials Specifications.  Plans and specifications shall include a Double Check Detector assembly.  Plans or blueprints showing the fire system as completed, with all measurements, outlets, etc., must be filed with the Water Division office before water shall be allowed to supply the system.  Pipes intended for fire protection must not be tapped or used for the general supply of any building, structure or premises.  Any fire protection system that contains an additive (including food grade additives), and any fire protection system utilizing antifreeze, must be protected using a reduced pressure detector check assembly. Ethylene Glycol antifreeze is not permitted and if antifreeze is used, then it must be propylene glycol.


(b)   No persons, except an authorized agent of the Village or the Fire Department, shall take any water from fire hydrants except with written permission from the Village.  In case any damage is done to a fire hydrant, by any person, shall , pay such damages, all costs and expenses incurred by reason thereof upon demand of the Village.  Procedures and rules for water taken from the fire hydrants, for any reason except firefighting, shall be established by the Manager.


(c)   The Fire Department shall have the right to use water from any hydrant, hose, pipe or other fixture wholly or in part for fire protection purposes.




(a)   Meters shall be read as directed by the Village Manager and as near the same date as possible.  If the meter reader is unable to gain access to the premises or meter, or if the meter is out of order, an estimated charge shall be made from previous readings or similar services of the same water use.  The defective meter shall be replaced within 30 days of notice.  Water service shall be discontinued if the property owner fails to provide access for the Village to the water meter within 30 days of notice per Section 925.08(d).




(a)   A water system capacity charge shall be paid to the Village for each new or increased service whenever an application for a connection permit is made for a water service tap to be connected to a water line which is part of or will become a part of the Village’s water system, or which is built by or under the direction and/or supervision of the Village.  No water service tap shall be connected to such water lines without a connection permit first being issued by the Village.  Upon proper proof of hardship, the Village Manager may arrange for a payment schedule for the foregoing capacity charge.


(b)        Capacity Charges:


              (1)      Capacity charges for water service shall be as follows:


                        Nominal Tap Diameter (inches)                      Capacity Charge

                                    3/4                                                       $    2,136

                                    1                                                                3,797

                                    1-1/2                                                          8,543

                                    2                                                               15,196

                                    3                                                               34,174

                                    4                                                               60,753

                                    6                                                              136,695

                                    8                                                              243,013


                          (2)      Capacity charges for standby water service, where connection permits are granted solely for fire protection, shall be as follows:


                        Nominal Tap Diameter (inches)                      Capacity Charge

                                    2                                                          $     550

                                    3                                                              1,250

                                    4                                                              2,200

                                    6                                                              5,000


                        (3)        Capacity charges where a connection permit is granted for a combination of normal and fire protection service shall be the sum of the capacity charge in subsection (b)(1) hereof for the tap size required for normal service plus the capacity charge in subsection (b)(2) hereof for the actual tap size installed.


(4)        In the event a water service tap is enlarged, the capacity charge difference between the two diameter sizes shall be paid to the Village.


            (5)        Any water service tap larger than those set forth herein shall be the subject of a special action by Council prior to issuance of a connection permit.


            (6)        Water service taps shall not be smaller than the water service line connecting the tap to the property or facility serviced.


            (7)        Water system capacity charges shall be deposited into the Village's Water Capital Improvement Fund.




(a)  The rates for water service to consumers located outside the municipal limits shall be in accordance with Section 925.19.  The location of water use shall control and not the location of the main.


(b)   The provisions of Ohio R. C. 743.14, "Supervision of Territory Having Water Service Outside Municipal Corporations," shall apply to this chapter.  Any firm, person, corporation or premises, either presently connected or desiring to be connected with the Village water supply shall comply with the requirements and provisions of all pertinent Village ordinances and departmental rules and regulations.          




(a)  All unpaid water rents shall become due and payable on the fifteenth day of each month (excepting if the fifteenth happens to fall on a weekend or Village-recognized holiday, then the next work day) following receipt of the bill.  After the due date, a ten percent (10%) late fee shall be assessed against any unpaid water and sewer charge(s).  Accounts not cleared by thirty days from the date of issue shall be considered as being delinquent and water service shall be discontinued at any time thereafter.

(Ord. 14-05.  Passed 4-6-05.)


(b)  The Village shall endeavor to give proper notice of water and/or waste water charges, but by law, cannot guarantee delivery of mail.  Failure to receive notice by mail shall not excuse customers from prompt payment of bills.


(c)  The Village shall accept only total and complete payments for charges billed.


(d)  The owners of the property shall maintain their private piping and plumbing fixtures in good condition and no adjustments shall be made for leaks that register on water meters.


(e)  Water service shall be disconnected for accounts delinquent in excess of 60 days and not resumed unless all charges, including the $50 “turn on fee”, are paid in full.  Service restoration by the Village will be made during normal operating hours. 


(f)   Payment of all charges for water used through a meter shall be the responsibility of the owner of the property upon which the meter is located.  Bills may be rendered to the owner or to any other person properly in possession of the property.  A change in ownership of property shall not relieve any new owner from liability for unpaid charges, some or all of which may be for water services supplied prior to his commencement of ownership.  All unpaid accounts for water charges shall become a lien against the property served. 

(Ord. 4-84. Passed 3-21-84.)




(a)       The rates provided in subsection (a)(1) below shall be effective for water usage during the month of January 2012, which will be reflected in the meter readings that will occur on or about February 1, 2012 and billed on or about March 1, 2012:


(1)               The price to be charged for water furnished by the Village to residential and

            business consumers situated in the municipality are hereby fixed as follows:


                                          A.  If the total water used in any one (1) month period is 1000 gallons or less, there shall be a charge of four dollars and forty-four cents ($4.44).  

                                          B.  If the total water used in any one (1) month period is more than 1000 gallons, the charge for all water used shall be at the rate of four dollars and forty-four cents ($4.44) per 1000 gallons or for any fractional part thereof.

                                          C.  All utility accounts will be charged at least a minimum monthly utility bill unless the water service has a final reading or is shut off at the curb stop by the Village.


(b)   The rates provided in subsection (b)(1) below shall be effective for water usage during the month of November 2012, which will be reflected in the meter readings that will occur on or about December 1, 2012 and billed on or about January 1, 2013:                                                                                               


(1)               The price to be charged for water furnished by the Village to residential and business consumers situated in the municipality are hereby fixed as follows:


  1. If the total water used in any one (1) month period is 1000 gallons or less,

there shall be a charge of four dollars and eighty-eight cents ($4.88).  

  1. All utility accounts will be charged at least a minimum monthly utility bill

unless the water service has a final reading or is shut off at the curb stop by the Village.




The price to be charged for water furnished by the Water Division to consumers situated outside the Municipality on all water used, billed on or after October 1, 1985, is hereby fixed at two times the rate charged to consumers situated in the Municipality, unless consumers of water in excess of 300,000 per month that have negotiated a separate water agreement as approved by ordinance by Village Council.  The Council is not required to offer a separate agreement.




(a)   Purpose.  The Village Manager may allow water supplied on special requests for water to nonsubscribers.


(b)   Application and Approval.


(1)        Request shall be made to the Village and shall indicate the anticipated amount of water that is desired and the time or times it will be required.


(2)        Permission to purchase water shall rest solely with the Village, based on the need to avoid jeopardizing service to regular subscribers.


(3)        In the event a request for special water is approved, the manner and time that water is supplied shall be controlled by the Village dictated by the time and place that the water draw will cause the least disturbance to the municipal water supply


(c)   Charges.  A charge of ten dollars ($10.00) per 1,000 gallons of water shall be paid, plus a meter rental fee of $100 per day.


A Village representative shall transmit the necessary billing information to the administrative and fiscal office at the completion of the sale and all purchases shall be billed to the customer and paid within three (3) days of service.


925.99   PENALTY.


Whoever violates any provision of this chapter shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars ($100.00).  A separate offense shall be deemed committed each day during or on which an offense occurs or continues.


Section 3.  This ordinance shall become effective upon the earliest date allowed by the laws of the state of Ohio and the Charter of the Village of Granville.


Passed this 20th day of August, 2014.

Employee Payroll / Compensation

The Village has thirty-six (36) full-time employees, 16 regular part-time employees and seaonal employees. Village Personnel Policy

Go to My Pay Stub and login.