Granville Community Calendar

GPC Minutes 5/6/1996

GRANVILLE PLANNING COMMISSION

May 6, 1996

Minutes

Members Present: Maxine Montgomery,Lyn Robertson,Richard Salvage,Marc Shulman, Gary Stansbury

Members Absent: Keith Myers

Also Present: Doug Tailford, Jr.,Village Planner

Visitors Present. Scott Rawden S( entinel)A, nne Russell 2(05 S. Prospect)C,. Crais 2(34 W.

Pearl)M, ary Fellabaum 3(10 W. Elm)B, ud D&ebbie Farrar A(thletic Boosters)H,enry Luther

233 E. Broadway)R,obert Burrowes,Max Rogers 3(26 Spellman)J,im Bidigare 1(10 E. Elm),

Jeff Oster 2(26 N. Pearl)W, illiam Anderson J&ames Shenck C(oncepts in Lodging)

Procedural Work Session:

1. Procedures. { Please refer to Keith Myers' memo of May 4, 1996. }

Mr. Stansbury recommended combining Dots 3 and 4 but reserving the right to cut off

comments after a definite period of time. Ms. Robertson would like to limit citizens' comments

to 15 minutes.

GPC does not feel that Dot 7 (further comment from citizens)is necessary.

Re Dot 1, Mr. Tailford is willing to introduce the application,and members would like

him to do this when there is a public hearing and other big applications.

Ms. Robertson thinks Dot 5 is a good idea.

Regarding time limits,the Chair can state initially how much time is allowed. Mr.

Stansbury suggested having the application continued if GPC is not finished. It's hard to decide

how much time is needed in advance. Ms. Robertson asked what would happen is all the agenda

items are not covered,and Mr, Tailford said he would consult Mr, Hurst about this. The consensus

of the group felt they could not set a time limit for a case. Mr. Stansbury thought we could

cut off a work session but not a public hearing. Mr. Tailford stated that public hearings at

Village Council hear citizens' comments then act, but allow no further public comment. Mr.

Salvage thought we should ponder such a procedure. Ms, Robertson thought that one of tile

Chair's duties is to figure out a time frame for the agenda and become more efficient.

2. Change to Application Submission Deadline. Mr. Tailford has spoken to Mr. Hurst

about extending the seven-day deadline to give sufficient time for preparation and notification to

the Sentinel. GPC concluded that twelve days would work better. Nothing will be added to the

agenda that has not been published.

Minutes: April 8: Page 3,Line 10: Add Mr. Salvage indicated that tliis area is not in an

architectural review area and GPC may be overstepping its authority bv trying to impose

architectural styles. He stated that.c..hange."

Under the summary of Bob Evans discussion P(age 3)m, ake the following changes:

5. " Decrease number of parking spaces and add more parking islands/ peninsulas."

6. "sh.ow.n.on the plat;exact location is subject...."

After No. 10, add Bob Evans did agree to eliminate under-awning lighting. They also

acknowledged responsibility for pedestrian lighting cost.

MR STANSBURY MOVED TO APPROVE APRIL 8 MINUTES;MR. SALVAGE

SECONDED AND MINUTES WERE UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

April 22: Ms. Robertson asked that all "will be"verbs be changed to "would be"under

McDonald's on page 3.

Top of Page 3 should read, " room. and it would be weltlandscaped. They would have

58 parking spaces. They."

MR. SALVAGE MOVED TO APPROVE APRIL 22 MINUTES; MR. STANSBURY

SECONDED,AND THEY WERE UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Citizens Comments: Mr. Farrar,from "Moving Together,"

wanted to update GPC on progress on the new stadium at the high school and showed the

landscaping drawing. Inasmuch as the work is scheduled to be done May 17-18, and since the

Tree and Landscape Commission has not approved it, Mr. Salvage suggested that GPC approve

installation provided we get a formal application and provided that the Tree and Landscape

Commission gives its approval, and GPC agreed with this suggestion.

Old Business:

Signage Policy for Drop-off Boxes,Vending Machines,etc.

GPC members discussed Mr, Tailford's draft, and Ms. Robertson suggested adding

something about safety. Ms. Montgomery thought Mr. Tailford should administer these items,

and Mr. Salvage disagrees with the conditions upon lighting.

Ms. Robertson suggested considering these structures as signs.

Under No. 2, delete " next to the main building and located."

Mr. Tailford will prepare a new draft.

Satellite Dish Antennae and Communication Towers...

Mr. Tailford has prepared a draft incorporating changes made necessary by a new

Federal Communications Bill. Mr. Salvage preferred a maximum height of 8' for roof antennae,

but others thought it should not exceed 3'.Mr. Salvage does not want to regulate the smaller, 18"

dishes. Ms. Montgomery will provide input to Village Council on the discussion.

New Business:

Max Rogers,326 Spellman

Mr. Rogers wishes to modify front awning to better match existing roof lines and

substitute two round wood pillars in place of the steel ones there currently. They will add

window boxes, and the improvement will be more aesthetically pleasing. The white posts will

2

match the window trim.

MR. STANSBURY MOVED TO APPROVE APPLICATION;MR. SALVAGE SECONDED,

AND IT WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Don and Anna Russell,205 S. Prospect

The Russells wish to build a 9"high stacked limestone retaining wall in the front yard to

contain a landscaping area.

MR. SALVAGE MOVED THAT AN APPLICATION IS NOT NECESSARY IN THIS

INSTANCE;MR. STANSBURY SECONDED,AND IT WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

No fee is necessary)

Curtis Real Estate, 110 East Elm

The business wishes to install a gray sign with black letters in the existing sign frame

provided for the office building on the northeast corner of South Main and East Elm. It will be

consistent with the other signs and variances that were granted for that location.

MR STANSBURY MOVED TO APPROVE APPLICATION;MR. SALVAGE SECONDED,

AND IT WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Rob and Brooke Struthers, 214 South Cherry

The owners wish to replace the slate on front roof of house with architecturally built up

shingles like the shingles on the back part of the house. It is very expensive to replace slate, and

the roof will not be visible except on the dormer window.

MR. SALVAGE MOVED TO APPROVE APPLICATION;MR. STANSBURY SECONDED,

AND IT WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Henry and Lawanna Luther, 233 East Broadway

The Luthers wish to install a 6'wood stockade fence in the left back yard for privacy. It

will not be very visible from the street and will be landscaped.

MR. SALVAGE MOVED TO APPROVE APPLICATION;MR. STANSBURY SECONDED,

AND IT WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Monomoy House,231 West Broadway

Denison wishes to receive approval for the four window boxes and two trellises on the

east side of the house,which have already been installed. Mr. Shulman would have preferred

repeating the round motif of the house instead of the square design.

MR. SALVAGE MOVED TO APPROVE APPLICATION;MR. STANSBURY SECONDED,

AND IT WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Pamela Scully and Clifton Crais, 234 N. Pearl

The owners wish to installllite wood picket fence with three gates in their side

lu

3

and back yard to protect their children from the Pearl Street traffic. They chose a fence

consonant with the federal architecture of the house. Other properties in the area have 48"

fences.

Mr. Shulman would like to propose that the fence be in line with the wall of the house

instead of on the sidewalk and have green space outside the fence. He would like to see

landscaping.

There is an easement on the property,and Mr. Tailford stated that the 3' easement

conflict should be resolved between the neighbor,Mr. Oster,and Mr. Crais and Ms. Scully.

MR. SHULMAN MOVED TO APPROVE APPLICATION WITH THE STIPULATION

THAT THE NORTH-FACING FENCE TOWARD SUMMIT STREET BE IN LINE WITH

THE NORTH-FACING WALL OF THE HOUSE. MR. STANSBURY SECONDED,AND IT

WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Exterior Lighting Guidelines

Policy is necessary to determine how much lighting is allowed to go beyond the property

line. GPC members agreed that single-family residences should be excluded. Mr. Salvage asked

whether we could formally ask Holophane to present guidelines,since our earlier request is still

pending. Mr. Tailford will send them a note with a copy to Ron Sheldon.

Work Session:

Country Hearth Inn,South Galway Drive

follows:

Representatives have made changes in plans since our last work session, and a summary

1. They widened the right of way to 40' with continuous sidewalk from Galway to the

property. Another sidewalk goes to Wendy's

2. They added landscaping on the southeast corner to screen parking. There will be

landscaping outside the sidewalk.

3. Side yard setback is 30' as planned, They designed a simpler roofline to reduce

height, but the height of 34.3 needs variance. They could move the building to the east but

would prefer to save that space for landscaping. Mr. Tailford stated that most of the building is

31'7"high and i f GPC approves, Country Hearth will not need a variance.

4. The application has to go to BZBA for conditional use permit.

5. Each room will have its own air conditioner.

6. Since the driveway is private,they will maintain it and plant trees.

7. They have an agreement with Wendy's for sewer and road access.

8. Storm water detention arrangements will adhere to the village and ODOT

requirements.

9. Lot coverage will be at 37.9 per cent even with sidewalks.

10. A ground sign in earthy tones,externally lit,will be at the southeast corner. Brick

base will match the building. They will ask for a variance since the code limits sign to 10 sq.ft.

Mr. Tailford suggested they match the size of Wendy's ground sign.

11. At Galway they request a small sign with the Country Hearth logo,and in the front

4

they will need a small ground sign identifying the check-in area. 12. At the east end elevation they have added three false windows on the second story

for aesthetic purposes and will add landscaping on the first story.

13. They showed beige vinyl siding samples with green shutters.

14. For lighting they are balancing safety with aesthetics. The building will be fairly

well lit,but the lighting plan is not ready yet.

15. The dumpster will have three sides of brick with a double gate of stained wood to

match color.

Adjournment: 10:00 p. m.

Next Meetings May 20 and June 3

Employee Payroll / Compensation

The Village has thirty-six (36) full-time employees, 16 regular part-time employees and seaonal employees. Village Personnel Policy

Go to My Pay Stub and login.