Granville Community Calendar

GPC 02/23/97

GRANVILLE PLANNING COMMISSION
February 23, 1997
Minutes
Members Present: Stansbury, Jack Burriss, Keith Myers, Richard Salvage, Gary Bill Wernet, Carl Wilkenfeld. Members Absent:
Also Present: Reza Reyazi, Village Planner Visitors Present: Scott Rawdon (Sentinel)B, ill Heim, Tim Snider, John Oney, Allen Baker, Joe Ridgeway, George Fackler, Tom Scono, John Woods, Guy Razor, Ann Snider
Election of Chair and Vice Chair
MR. WILKENFELD NOMINATED GARY STANSBURY AS CHAIR; MR. SALVAGE SECONDED, AND MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.
MR. WILKENFELD NOMINATED KEITH MYERS AS VICE CHAIR; MR. SALVAGE SECONDED, AND MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.
Minutes of February 9, 1997:
plaPnage..1,."under Thornewood,1 )"(rezone (2) a development
Page 2, "10. Any development plano.f..rezoning."
MR. SALVAGE MOVED TO APPROVE MINUTES AS CORRECTED AND MR. BURRISS SECONDED. MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.
Citizens Comments: None
New Business:
William G. Heim, 133 East College Street
The applicant is finishing up restoration. He wishes to
breumiolvte brick facade on the original cabin, a stonecutter' s shed around 1814. The rest of the home was built in 1823. (1) He
would like to take out a doorway because it is not convenient and
to (2) take off the brick veeneer from the back and preserve the original siding, door, and doorway with paint.
MR. WERNET MOVED TO APPROVE APPLICATION AS SUBMITTED. MR.
MYERS SECONDED, AND MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.
Old Business:
Fackler' s 1960 Newark-Granville Road
A. Review. Mr. John Oney, architect, presented an overview
and stated they will not require ordinances for the proposed
complex. They have further refined the plans and incorporated GPC
suggestions from previous meeting. He described the new location
with parking in the rear, pedestrian walkways, curbcuts and a
roadway around the perimeter of the site. The parking slots have
been reduced from 150 to 100. The 70' setback line- is consistent
with other buildings nearby, and landscaping will be planted in
lieu of variation from 100' setback.
2
B. Site Plan. Allen alevationt>" Baker, architect, described the Granville. stating h- e':w-anted-to makea--f' it-w-itil'-hib-0erceptionof-- the building.The building is 30' high, and parking will be behind There are three large porch areas outside, repeated inside, and a wrought-iron fence at the service area. The bank wdriilvl elo-thorkoufignhisihsedbe. tween the bank and the main building. All sides Material is navajo white cedar stone with seal baereaac.h green trim. Air conditioning units will be in the "well"
C. Lighting. There will be very little signage on the building. Softer ground lighting will make the facility more inviting. Lights will be 50-70 watts with 100 watts lighting the chimney. Fixtures will be in the ground and hidden by landscaping. Lights in the parking area probably meet the code.
D. Signage. 1) A 24 sq. ft. sign will be in the stone retaining wall at the corner, with raised lettering and lit. 2)
Another sign on the exterior of the building. (3-6) Two two-sided directional signs at each entrance, 1 sq. ft, 3' high made out of the same stone with raised lettering and lit. 7-8) Bank signs.
9-)Signs below the soffits. Specification is required on lighting for these. The size of the facility and frontage on two roads demands more signage than in the code. Only the name of the complex will be on the retaining wall, rather than individual businesses.
E. Landscaping. Mr. Fackler stated they will adhere to the code with landscaping around the site and provide maple trees to shade the perimeter. They will soften driving lanes with 3'
mounding. Mounding proved to be controversial, and more design is sought. They like to see all-season color and low maintenance.
F. Utilities. Tim Snider reported on the sanitary/storm
sewer and stated they have discussed these matters with Mr. Murphy. He has also talked with Jerry Turner about questions raised in his
letter of February 18, 1998.
G. Staff Concerns. Refer to Mr. Reyazi' s letter of 2/18/98)
l. GPC members ask that there be curbing throughout.
2. The curb return radius must be 25' but Mr. Reyazi prefers 50' for right turns.
3. Some truck backing-up will be necessary. There needs to
be an off-street loading ramp.
4. Cross hatching of sidewalks should be subtle. Be sure to
cross-hatch handicapped accesses.
5. The width and material of sidewalks was controversial at
this meeting. Consider cobbling at the cross sections. Consensus
liked 8' sidewalks. Mr. Reyazi will check the pathway plan.
6. OK
7. OK
8. Directional signs and stop signs at intersections will be
on final plan. Find a more attractive post for stop signs.
9. Leave this to the engineers.
10. --- ' -A'»cc-ess will need to be shared with any future neighbor. 11':Sta'cking room 'seems to have«b' eah'-increased; but -any joint access in the future will need to be addressed. Left turns might be more difficult with a median strip on Cherry Valley. 12. and 13. Left turns were discussed at length. Joe Ridgeway, traffic engineer, stated that for their study they used existing traffic rather than anticipated traffic, which determined that no left turns will be required. Consensus preferred left turn lanes subject to agreement by the traffic engineer. GPC would like to see on N-G Road a 50' radius with curb and decelaration. On CV, a left turn at a size to be determined by staff. 14. Any new development will have to dictate where cross- access and joint-use driveways would go. 15. Ordinances require a street lighting plan. Additional lighting wOKill be required as CV is developed, but not now.
OK
16.
17.
18. Applicant to provide a lot coverage plan (65%). 2109.. Bike parking is not required but would be nice. OK
21. On display tonight.
22. OK
23. No AC units on roof.
varian2c4e. s.Some flexibility is understandable. GPC can grant sign Most of these signs will not be visible from the
street. With this facility, the signage would be less than what it would be for individual businesses. Mr. Burriss wants applicant to provide rendering of signs for entire complex in more detail, as well as foot-candle lighting.
25. 26. 27. 28. OK
29. Mr. Ridgeway does not think left turns onto N-G Road should be prohibited because it forces more traffic onto the intersection. Traffic should sort itself out. Mr. Wernet prefers
the right-in/right-out designation now in order to not confuse drivers by changing it later on. Others would like to see left
turns now and as the need arises, eliminate left turns. Mr. Myers
would make it a condition of zoning that it be addressed at a later time. Consensus agreed to full access on N-G Road until such time
as there is a connector to Galway and/or a significant traffic problem at the entrance.
Discussion.
1. Mr. Burris suggested placing the ATM machine inside the
bank, and Mr. Fackler will talk to the bank people.
The outside eating area must be pedestrian-friendly. 2
3. Underground pneumatic banks at the bank would be nice.
4. GPC is not quite ready for a vote
Mr. Myers summarized the discussion and pending items:
1. Parking islands and lots will be curbed; access drives will
not be curbed.
2. Curb radius to be brought into compliance with
1117 .03 (r) (c) .
3. Crosswalks within parking area to be marked on the plat.
3
4
4. Either constructed-.C- o-amnip8o'sit'asphalt or 5' concrete pedestrian path be after consultation withidnGPtCo. -bea-t d' iscretion of-staff planner
villag5e. . An additional 5' of ROW be granted from applicant to the
6. Traffic control plan to be submitted as specified in s1a1w1n7. c17edaanrd. posts for traffic control signs be constructed of rough
code. 7. Driveway approaches to be brought into compliance with EngineeAr.pproaches may be asphalt with approval of the Village
8. A left turn lane be contructed on C. V. Road at entrance to site and be built to the satisfaction of Village Engineer and Village Traffic Consultant.
9. Turning radius from N-G Road be increased to 50'. 10. Applicant to create a cross-access easement that will permit the property to the south access to the service drives in perpetuity.
11. Bicycle parking to be provided.
12. When an internal connection to Galway is made, the curb cut at N-G be made right-inr/ight-out ando/r when a significant traffic problem on N-G is shown to exist.
MR. WILKENFELD MOVED TO CONTINUE DISCUSSION UNTIL THE NEXT REGULAR MEETING. MR. MYERS SECONDED, AND MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.
Certified Oil Company, 466 South Main Street
Certified would like to demolish the existing station and erect a new convenience store at rear of property.
MR. WILKENFELD MOVED TO TAKE THE APPLICATION OFF THE TABLE; MR. SALVAGE SECONDED, AND IT WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.
John Woods stated that the only changes they made to the previous plans were relative to storm water (Mr. Reyazi said the
storm water plan does not meet MORPSY standards) retention and landscaping in front of the islands. Additional comments:
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
siding.
They have a lighting plan using Granville standards.
Storm water retention would not be hard to do.
Hedges have been planned for landscaping.
They added one tree, making a total of four.
Materials are weathered wood shingle roof and brick
GPC members cited some problems:
Storm water retention pond will be in the TCOD and will be 1
unattractive.
2. Canopy is in the TCOD.
3. 75%lot coverage is too high.
4. Square footage of red, white, and blue monument sign is
considerably over code.
5. Any temporary window signs would require approval.
wherea6s. itTheshsoiugldn bise in the TCOD and only one foot inside the ROW, IOO' back.
7. The large building will overwhelm the small lot. 8. Village Council wants to adhere strictly to the code. their9. Certified cannot get a variance because the problem is of own doing.
adhere10t.oEtvheen cthoodueg.h the proposal would clean up the site, it must improvement. Mr. Wernet thinks this plan would not be an
line o11f . thTheeirIGA, next door, was not even permitted to change one existing sign.
12. Certified can still sell gasoline without a new store. 13. Mr. Burriss would like to see an overall plan showing other buildings present now.
mph. 14. A huge sign is not necessary when traffic drives by at 25
area. 15. Future South Main widening would decrease their frontage
16. Shared driveway access with IGA was not discussed.
Mr. Woods and his associate asked GPC to vote tonight.
MR. SALVAGE MOVED TO APPROVE APPLICATION AS SUBMITTED. MR.
MYERS SECONDED. THE VOTE WAS 4 OPPOSED AND 1 ABSTENTION (MR. SALVAGE).
Finding of Fact:
MR. SALVAGE MOVED TO ADOPT THE FINDING FOR OLD BUSINESS A, WILLIAM HEIM, AS FORMAL FINDING OF FACT AND TO REJECT OLD BUSINESS ITEM B, CERTIFIED OIL. MR. MYERS SECONDED, AND
FINDING OF FACT WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.
Adjournment: 11: 59 p. m.
Next Meetings: March 9 and March 23
Respectfully submitted,
Betty Allen
5

Employee Payroll / Compensation

The Village has thirty-six (36) full-time employees, 16 regular part-time employees and seaonal employees. Village Personnel Policy

Go to My Pay Stub and login.