Granville Community Calendar

GPC 04/21/97

GRANVILLE PLANNING COMMISSION
April 21, 1997
Minutes
Members Present: Maxine Montgomery,
Stansbury, Carl Wilkenfeld
Members Absent: Keith Myers, Richard Also Present: Salvage Reza Reyazi, Village Planner
Visitors Present:
Miller, Bob Seith,-
Richard Downs
Lyn Robertson, Gary
Scott Rawdon (Sentinel),Dave Kishler, Steve Doug Williams, Bruce Henderson, David Wakeman,
Minutes of April 7, 1997: Page 1, Line 3 under Cavanaugh, change with" to the. Page 3, Line 5, change l' it" to a parking plan. Delete last line of Paragraph 1, and change a" pplication" to Finding of Fact in the previous line. MS. ROBERTSON MOVED TO
APPROVE MINUTES AS CORRECTED AND MR. WILKENFELD SECONDED. MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.
Citizens Camments: none
New Business:
David and Lynne Kishler, 327 West Elm
condiTtihoeneKri.shlers wish to add a two-story addition and relocate air Mr. Reyazi stated that the air conditioner will be in
the back of the house and BZBA will need to consider a variance.
Mr. Kishler said that siding will match the house, and roof line will be same height as the house; in the rear, the addition will
match width of the house. The current porch is one story and the
new one will be one story unscreened.
MR. WILKENFELD MOVED TO APPROVE APPLICATION PENDING BZBA
APPROVAL OF VARIANCE. MS. ROBERTSON SECONDED, AND IT WAS
UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.
Bernard Williams, The Elms Pizza, 113 East Elm
The applicant wishes to replace current awnings on windows and
door with forest green cloth awnings with white lettering totalling
860 sq.in. He also wants lettering on the wall, and he will be
below the maximum signage allowed.
Ms. Robertson recalled that all lettering must be on the vertical
drop of awnings rather than on the slanted face. Mr. Doug
Williams said he was willing to put the letters on the drop, and
Ms. Robertson would be in favor of 8" letters there.
GPC members would prefer to get a better picture of propor- tions and how it will look. Mr. Williams left to get
more dimensions.
MS. ROBERTSON MOVED TO TABLE UNTIL HE GETS BACK. MR.
WILKENFELD SECONDED, AND MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.
Mr.W._il.li.ams returned .and . said .t.here .is. a 10d".r.op,s_o.....8.... .. letters will be ok. Ms. Robertson would like Mr. Reyazi to look at the layout before it is installed, although Mr. Reyazi thought this was a purely aesthetic matter.
MS. ROBERTSON MOVED TO APPROVE THE APPLICATION WITH 8" LETTERS ON THE VERTICAL DROP. MR. WILKENFELD SECONDED, AND IT WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.
Work Sessions:
First Presbyterian Church, 110 West Broadway
Mr. Acklin, Chair of the Capital Development Committee, explained the goals for church expansion. Accompanying him were Bruce Henderson, the minister, and Steve Miller, the architect. The church needs more room for its various church and community activities and also utility improvement. The plan is to connect the church and the Christian Education building across the alley- way, providing access from Locust Street to Main behind the building. The church building is completely within the public bsquuiladrien,gsan. area set aside by the founders of the village for public The addition will look like a front entrance and will
contain an elevator and new boiler and air conditioner.
Mr. Acklin will provide copies of the original public square plat. Mr. Wilkenfeld would like to see what the west side will
look like.
Bob Seith stated that he lives on Locust facing the proposed addition and thinks the plans do not address the needs of the houses on Locust in terms of light and line of sight. Locust Place
is the only L-shaped public square left of the four original
squares and should be protected as community-owned open space. It
would be eliminated with this expansion. There may be other alternatives
to the current plans which might allow more light to pass through, i.e.,a skylight and glass material or add a third story to the Christian Ed. building. He described other churches which
utilized unique methods to preserve light and line of sight.
Mr. Acklin said the committee is conscious of Mr. Seith' s
position, and one thing they can do is lower the roofline. But it
needs to house the elevator so cannot be lowered very much. He did
not know that they could fully accommodate Mr. Seith.
Mr. Seith asked who is going to be the deciding body on whether or not the alley could be vacated. Mr. Reyazi said it is a
public square, not an alley, and it will have to go to the Village
Law Director and Village Council. GPC will consider the
architectural designs. Village Council granted permission in
January, 1996, for expansion as long as access remains to Main
Street, but the Law Director still needs to decide on the issue.
He will wait until a _formal application is made before he makes_a
decision. as_to. done. how V.C. will. proceed .in. terms of how .this_c_an be-... V.C. thought no vacation is required. The church feels that permission to proceed has been granted. Ms. Montgomery will take this issue to V.C. regarding access to Main Street. A decision
needs to be approved by GPC. They will have to apply for a vari- ance for parking.
Mr. Stansbury asked about the storm sewer, and Mr. Acklin has wtaalkteerd. to Mr. Tailford and Mr. Hickman about redirecting flow of
Mr. Reyazi wondered whether GPC was comfortable enough with the general plan for them to proceed. Mr. Wilkenfeld would 11ike
to see. minutes of the meeting where V.C. decided this issue. He would also like to consult the Law Director. On the surface every- thing looks fine, but he wants to see west side appearance and hear more input on parking. Ms. Robertson is uncomfortable that Mr. Seith was not notified when the village considered the expansion. pVu.Cb.licneeds to make the decision on this application because it' s on land. They and the Law Director need to decide procedures.
Ms. Robertson thought these issues should be decided before we consider the application formally, but Mr. Reyazi disagreed, saying cifattiohen. church provided what we need, they can provide formal appli- It is uncertain whether V.C. can decide before our next meeting. The church wants to know whether there are other issues outstanding. Mr. Wilkenfeld asked Mr. Acklin whether the church
would want to go ahead with the possibility that they might not gain approval. Mr. Acklin said he has talked with Mr. Hurst and
Mr. Hickman and were advised this is the way they should proceeda-- work session with GPC and hear concerns. Formal application will
be filed at the appropriate time. Ms. Robertson stated the issues
outstanding as (1) drainage, (2) west elevation, (3) addressing Mr. Seith' s concerns, (4) more input on public square. Mr. Stansbury
added (5) easement and right of way issues and (6) landscaping plan.
Mr. Acklin stated that the church will grow to 800 members in
ten years, and should one house, unfortunately located where it is,
stand in the way of progress of the church? They plan to present
a west-side view and to lower the roofline. He doesn' t think
anything can be done about blockage of sunlight. He would like
another work session. He will check with Sandy Yorka regarding
sunlight .
Denison University, North Plum and West College Streets
59-M<
Dave Wakeman explained the parking shortage on the corner
caused by housing students in King and Stone Halls. There are 19
parking spaces now and they need 44. One problem is the slope of
land on north side, and he suggested a 3' wall on top of a retaining
brick wall. 1) One of the three proposals he presented adds
22 parking spaces and has an entrance on South Plum and a 9-12'
greenspace between sidewalk a_nd_wall. _It_ will _curve around the
htreemelocbkust .they. would lose two other. large trees. They would plant street. on Plum to screen the lot, which faces houses across the 2) Proposal 2 would add 20 spaces because it access the current parking at King Hall. A brick wall would surround the entire lot. 3) Under Proposal 3 they would ' exchange the brick wall with landscaping.
Ms. Montgomery would prefer no more curbcuts, and the others agreed. She reported that the code (1183. 04.B) states that a wall is preferable to landscaping. Mr. Reyazi stated that a parking lot is a conditional use requiring approval from BZBA. Also, neighbors are concerned about the lot, and he would like to discuss alterna- tives like adding onto existing parking space. Mr. Wilkenfeld suggested adding steps leading to the lot*Members did not like the entrance on Plum Street; a wall is better in order to avoid headlight nuisance. Plum Street side could have a wall with scattered trees. ufb / 14-p
Finding of Fact:
IT WAS MOVED AND SECONDED TO ADOPT THE TWO APPLICATIONS
APPROVED TONIGHT AND FINDINGS OF FACT WERE UNANIMOUSLY
APPROVED.
Adjournment: 9: 55 p.m.
Next Meeting: May 5 and 29
Respectfully submitted,
Betty Allen

Employee Payroll / Compensation

The Village has thirty-six (36) full-time employees, 16 regular part-time employees and seaonal employees. Village Personnel Policy

Go to My Pay Stub and login.