Granville Community Calendar

GPC Minutes 5/11/1998

GRANVILLE PLANNING COMMISSION

May 11, 1998

Minutes

Members Present: Jack Burriss, Gary Stansbury, Keith Myers, Richard Salvage, Members Absent: Bill Wernet, Carl Wilkenfeld

Also Present: Reza Reyazi, Village Planner Visitors Present: Scott Rawden (Sentinel)J, . Morey, Bruce WScehsntaaildl,t,Gordon Condit, Stuart Brown, Heather Titley, David Jim Petty, Edith Schories, Virginia King, Ned Roberts, Jake and Jan Thiele, Mike Menzer, Don Turner, Gary McAnally

Minutes of April 27, 1997:

There were so many corrections to the minutes that a new, corrected copy is included in your packet.

MR. SALVAGE MOVED TO APPROVE MINUTES AS CORRECTED. MR. WILKENFELD SECONDED AND MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Citizens Comments: none

Old Business:

David and Becky Schnaidt, 139 West Elm Street

Discussion was continued from the last meeting. Mr. Schnaidt clarified some issues requested of him about drainage and slight change in plans in light of BZBA' s denial of variance. He assured members that cars will be able to drive down the grade to the garage without scraping.

The material will be painted stone or split-faced block, which will look better than brick.

Regarding the size, he stated that he cut down considerably

1111 1 ht ho-epessecond floor addition in the back and moved it 12' back. He to retain the cherry tree .

Jake Thiele assured the applicant that he will work for

mutual respect, but he wants the ordinance to be obeyed. Jan

Thiele added that she thought the historic district was here to stay, and her more personal concerns were (1) danger of fire from chimney, (2) drainage, (3) elimination of light, (4) annoyance of windows facing windows, and negative impact from these things.

Mr. Schnaidt said there will be no windows, only false windows

to make the south face more pleasing.)

Virginia King stated that her husband, Horace, put the town

on the National Register of Historic Places and she hopes that

variances will not continue to be granted. She would prefer to

see the applicants' house as it was originally. Mr. Schnaidt did

not think his house was on the National Register. Mr. Reyazi

added that changes to houses in the National Register are only

affected when an applicant requests federal funds. Mike Menzer

stated that if a person wanted to historically restore a home, it

would be subject to certain limitations. Mr. Myers cdnsidered

this a tough judgment call when you change historic buildings

because you cannot force a homeowner to hire an architect. The vniellcaegsesairsilyablwaady. s in change, so a certain amount of change is not Houses need to be upgraded. Mr. Burriss added that houses have to accommodate people living in them. This plan aist not out of line with what could have been done to the building an earlier time.

the hBisrutocericWedsistatlrl icist. also concerned about granting variances in He was denied a variance to his own house and thinks everyone should make applications fit the ordinances.

Mr. Myers asked for details about the chimney, and Mr. CRoedyea.zi said it will have to be approved by the Newark Building

ThieleMr. Schnaidt stated that the area between his garage and the house will be gravel. Mr. Myers asked whether he would consider landscaping, to alleviate draining problems, and Mr. Schnaidt said he might eventually do that. Later in the meeting hseousthaidsidhee.would be willing to turf and landscape the area on the

Mr. Salvage asked about the easement. The area is owned by

the Schnaidts, but the neighbors use it for their lawntractor.

Mr. Reyazi said that it is supposed to be open to provide access to the back of the property, and Mr. Schnaidt said neighbors would not be opposed to releasing the easement. Mr. Schnaidt

said that the wall will come down and the ground will be sloped but not change grade.

Mr. Burriss thought the rear door on the ground floor should

be moved to one side or the other, and Mr. Schnaidt thought he could put it on one end.

Mr. Stansbury stated that quite a few of our decisions are subjective in nature, and we do not question why an applicant does what he does. He finds nothing that will degrade the

property, and it does meet all codes and setbacks. We try to do

what' s best for everyone.

Mr. Wilkenfeld understands the Thieles' situation but thinks

this may turn out for the best.

MR. MYERS MOVED TO APPROVE THE APPLICATION WITH THE

CONDITION THAT THE REMAINING 10' FROM THE DRIVEWAY SOUTH BE

REMOVED AND LANDSCAPED SUBJECT TO EASEMENT RESTRICTIONS.

MR. SALVAGE SECONDED, AND IT WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

New Business:

Sally Hannahs, 423 East College Street

2

The applicant was absent screen and build but wishes to remove the porch and a deck on rear of house, 1' from the west property line. She would also like to replace the fence on south and west boundaries with a new 4'-6' fence.

MR. SALVAGE MOVED TO APPROVE APPLICATION PENDING APPROVAL BY BZBA FOR THE SETBACK VARIANCE. MR. MYERS SECONDED, AND MOTION WAS APPROVED WITH ONE NAY VOTE (MR. WILKENFELD).

Bryan S. Law, 346 East College Street

The applicant wishes to make extensive improvements to his house, and since he was absent and members had questions, the application was tabled.

MR. MYERS MOVED TO CONTINUE APPLICATION. MR. SALVAGE

SECONDED, AND MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Stuart and Emily Brown, 317 East Maple Street

The applicants with to build an addition to west and rear of the house, with block foundation, white rough sawn cedar siding and green shingles. It will not be visible from the street, and will be landscaped.

Mr. Wernet appreciated receiving very nice and complete plans.

MR. WILKENFELD MOVED TO ACCEPT APPLICATION AS SUBMITTED. MR.

SALVAGE SECONDED, AND IT WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Don and Mary Alice Turner, 226 South Mulberry

The Turners wish to build a wooden deck to the rear of the

house, add a picket fence along a portion of north property line,

and replace cement block columns of front porch with round pine

columns and remove glass from porch. Mr. Turner stated that the

neighbors have no objections to the plans. He said there will be

a railing and steps with rails.

Mr. Salvage noted that Mr. Turner is not yet the owner of

the house, and Mr. Turner stated that the realtor said he should

get started even though he does not officially own it. Mr.

Wernet suggested getting the current owner to apply along with

Mr. Turner, and Mr. Reyazi thought approval should be made conditional

upon having clear title to the house. Mr. Salvage does

not think we should act but instead give an indication of how the

GPC feels. He personally likes the plan.

Edith Schories,

-

ne* t door, stated that the old shed is

rotten and should be replaced. She is pleased to meet her new

neighbor. She would like to know just where the property line is.

The area around the shed needs to be cleaned up.

In answer to a question by Mr. Burriss, Mr. Turners said the

columns will not go all the way to the floor.

3

4

MR. SALVAGE MOVED TO CONTINUE MODIFICATIONS APPLICATION PENDING ON APPLICATION ADDING CURRENT OWNER. MR.

WILKENFELD SECONDED, AND IT WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Bruce Westall, 241 East Maple Street

Mr. Westall wishes to attach to his house a two-car garage and laundry with access on South Pearl Street. Ned Roberts described the plans. He said the tree will be preserved with access around it. It will have redwood lap siding with flat shingle roof. Mr. Salvage did not like the idea of flat roof. Window will match kitchen windows. Mr. Burriss wanted more elevation detail with windows. Mr. Roberts can provide infor- mation before the next meeting, so application was continued.

Work Session:

Michael Menzer, South Galway Drive

Gary McAnally described the modified plans he drew up following the last session.

Site Plan: He showed how his plans relate to Fackler' s project with one curb on the left. Number of parking spaces is rfuedtuurceed by 8. There is no connecting driveway except through -t_lwB-Er- easement.

Storm Drainage: He showed a plan with catch basins leading

to detention area, not tied into the parking area drainage. Mr. Matyterrascwtivouel.d like to see the retention pond sculpted and made Mr. Reyazi said that Fackler' s does not have a detention basin.

Intersection: It was noted that the easement does not match

up with entrance to Donegal. Mr. McAnally thought their road

could be bent a little so that it will line up as long as it does not lessen their greenspace. GPC members thought this request could be accommodated.

Landscape Plan: The buf fer for parking lot is 8' spruce. Along front and side of parking are crab apple and red maple.

There will be yews and boxwood, and the detention area will have

boxwood. Mr. Myers reminded them about the requirement for street

trees beside sidewalk and street. Mr. Menzer will check plans

with the Tree and Landscape Committee and trees will be noted on

future plans with a dot.

Lighting Plan: The plans will meet standards.

Signs: They will bring in a plan for a low masonry sign at the entrance.

Traffic Study: Mr. Wince reported on three meetings he had

with with Village representatives at which there was not any

definitive answer at first regarding traffic impact, but they

reached agreement in terms of expediting the process. Staff

thought there should be more than just a cursory study. There

was a Memo of Understanding regarding the Village' s traffic

study, and tribute the applicant would know he would be required to con- ments neacefsasairrys. haTrehisofwbooutlhd cost of the study and the improve- be in the form of a recommendation to Village Council.

GPC members thought that since the study was not done satis- factorily in early stages of development, future developers should not be held responsible for one. Mr. Reyazi said that Mr. pFraocjkelcetr. had to do one because his was a unique and complicated He thought there might be more trip generations than in the first traffic study. GPC members want to see the original study. Mr. Myers wants to get the base-line data, and Mr. Reyazi will get this data showing numbers projected for Menzer' s land.

Applications/ Consistencies:

Members discussed the problems encountered when applicants provide incomplete applications. Mr. Wilkenfeld wants to provide applicants with samples and a checklist. Scale drawings should be required and applicants should review design standards. Mr.

Salvage wants to see packets earlier in the week.

Finding of Fact:

MR. SALVAGE MOVED TO ADOPT THE FINDING FOR A UNDER OLD

BUSINESS (SCHNAIDT) AND ITEMS A AND C UNDER NEW BUSINESS

HANNAHS AND BROWN) AS FORMAL FINDING OF FACT. MR.

WILKENFELD SECONDED, AND FINDING OF FACT WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Adjournment: 10: 55 p. m.

Next Meetings: May 26 and June 9

Employee Payroll / Compensation

The Village has thirty-six (36) full-time employees, 16 regular part-time employees and seaonal employees. Village Personnel Policy

Go to My Pay Stub and login.