Granville Community Calendar

Planning Minutes 3/10/03

GRANVILLE PLANNING COMMISSION March 10, 2003 Amended Minutes

Members Present: Jack Burriss, Barb Lucier, Richard Main, Mark Parris (Vice Chair), Tim Riffle, Richard Salvage (Chair) Members Absent: None The Chair swore in all those who planned to speak. Citizens Present: Steven Stein, Brian Koker, Robert Kennedy, Thomas Lawyer, Dave Rutledge, Barbara Hammond Also Present: Seth Dorman, Village Planner Citizens’ Comments: None Minutes of February 24, 2003: Correct spelling of Mr. Burriss’ name on Page 2, halfway down. MR. PARRIS MOVED TO APPROVE THE MINUTES AS AMENDED. MR BURRISS SECONDED, AND THE MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

New Business:

Granville Lumber Company, 401 South Main Street – Addition and Exterior Remodeling

 Mr. Dorman said the applicants wish to add 268 square feet to the present office space and to replace all the windows on the primary building. Inside remodeling will make the sales area larger and relocate the restrooms. The warehouse building will receive new siding and windows; in addition he noted that the plans show the doors on the south side of this building to be removed. Mr. Lawyer said the purpose is to dress up and clean up the building. The little dock on the west will be changed to provide more show room and counter space. The wall will be moved out 7’. They will retain the dock and the main entrance. There will be a covered porch on south side, and pushed out 5’. GPC members had no problems with the project, which will enlarge and enhance the facility.

MS. LUCIER MOVED TO APPROVE APPLICATION #03-011. MR. PARRIS SECONDED, AND THE MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

B. Hammond Interiors, 123 East Broadway – Storage Barn

Mr. Dorman said in the rear the applicant wants a 10’x20’ wooden storage barn to be used for light furniture and accessories. A variance will be needed for the side yard setback. Barbara Hammond added that they have adequate parking space. She is hoping to make the shed permanent. The building is pre-built and sits on skids. It will be painted and have a double door. Her desire is to rent it. They now have off-site storage. Their back room is so small that they need more room. In answer to a question by Mr. Riffle about security, Ms. Hammond said she has lighting in back of the store and feels that having the Police Department two doors away acts as a deterrent to crime. She will put some mesh wiring over the windows, and the double doors will be padlocked. Mr. Burriss asked about location of the dumpster and the fact that the building cannot be pushed against the bank building. He fears that area might be a collector of trash, but she does not want to have trash back there either. Big O is careful to pick up dropped trash. Mr. Burriss would not encourage this barn for a long-term solution. Mr. Riffle asked about its color and was told it will probably be white. Because of the improvements B. Hammond has made to the interior, the landlord will replace some fascia and potholes and resurface parking area. If he adds window boxes, Ms. Hammond will add the flowers. Mr. Burriss asked if the end wall will be sided, and she said yes. The company provides shelving and they will add some more. Mr. Salvage suggested that when the final color is selected, he would like to see that approved by the Village Planner.

MR. PARRIS MOVED TO APPROVE APPLICATION #03-012, WITH THE FOLLOWING CONDITION: (1) THAT THE APPLICANT CONSULTS WITH THE VILLAGE PLANNER WHEN THE FINAL COLOR OF THE STRUCTURE IS DETERMINED. MR. RIFFLE SECONDED, AND THE MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Work Session:

Welsh Hills School – Addition

 Steven Stein said tonight the architects wish to update GPC on progress. He showed the requested site plan showing neighboring buildings on a drawing and a model of the school, existing and planned. The model is primarily for fund-raising, but they were concerned about the height of the building and wanted to see how it will look. The great room will block the majority of the building. A landscape plan, approved by Tree and Landscape Commission, was also presented The original plan was to have brick pavers with grass, but they decided to forego grass because of irrigation concerns. Engineers have no problem with drainage. They hope to submit the application by the end of April and will show more details with the entire lot on a drawing of the whole site. Mr. Parris asked about the wood-belt buffer and Mr. Stein said they do not own the entire buffer of trees. Mr. Parris thought if things change in other properties it might affect the view of the school from the road, but Mr. Stein said they don’t want to block the horizon, and the landscaping plan shows their intention and will add trees as necessary. Ms. Lucier noted that when we talked before, people liked the idea of the barn and wondered whether that was still an option. Mr. Stein said this would be a barn style house, probably board and batten, and proportional to the school building. They considered silos but found they would be too costly. Mr. Stein said they would add cupolas and that really sets off the building more like a barn. In the wintertime it will be visible from Rt. 16, but they will be adding trees. Mr. Burriss asked about lighting and was told they don’t really want to put a sea of lighting but prefer more minimum bollard level lights for security, but on special occasions the lot will be more heavily lit. Mr. Parris asked him to match the lights in front. Mr. Burriss asked about trash and learned there is a dumpster there now. Mr. Burriss would like to see screening of the dumpster and air conditioning units The architects are looking at dimensional shingle roofing material, or slate roof, asphalt. The lower roofs, said Mr. Burriss, can be standing seam metal, and Mr. Stein said currently everything is standing seam. There will be a more sloping roof over the porch. Mr. Stein noted in passing that the school added a greenhouse. He said they want to break ground in the fall. He will bring in a site plan with the application and plan screening of the dumpster.

Finding of Fact: MR. PARRIS MOVED TO APPROVE FINDINGS FOR ITEMS A AND B UNDER NEW BUSINESS, AND WE FIND THEM CONSISTENT WITH THE RELEVANT SECTIONS OF THE CODE AS OUTLINED IN THE VILLAGE PLANNER’S MEMO OF MARCH 6, 2003.

Adjournment: 8:20 p.m. Next Meetings: NO MEETING ON MARCH 24. Next meeting is April 14.

Respectfully submitted, Betty Allen 

Employee Payroll / Compensation

The Village has thirty-six (36) full-time employees, 16 regular part-time employees and seaonal employees. Village Personnel Policy

Go to My Pay Stub and login.