Granville Community Calendar

Planning Minutes 7/24/06

GRANVILLE PLANNING COMMISSION
July 24, 2006
Minutes

Members Present, Tom Mitchell (Vice Chair), Jackie O'Keefe, Tym Tyler, Carl Wilkenfeld
Members Absent:   Jack Burriss, Tim Riffle (Chair)
Visitors Present, Chris Mays, Scott Klingensmith, Mansfield, Sara and Jack Kirby, A. Whirle
Also Present: Chris Strayer, Village Planner
The Chair swore in all those who planned to speak
Citizens Comments:  none

Minutes of July 10:  Page 2, last word should be perspective MR.TYLER TO APPROVE MINUTES AS CORRECTED. MR. WILKENFELD SECONDED, AND MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

New Business:

Sara Kirby, 1049 Burg Street - Driveway

 The request is for an additional driveway since exiting the driveway is difficult.  The applicant has proposed building an additional driveway that would exit onto Joy Lane to avoid the necessity of backing into Burg Street.  She was told at the work session to bring in more pictures, and she did so and showed where the drive would be, between the trees.  One small tree would be replanted in the rear of the yard. 
Mr. Mitchell felt they are creating a larger gravel area than they need. It could be concentrated in a smaller area, but Mr. Tyler said the turnaround goes down the hill, and Ms. Kirby added there is a large retaining wall and an oak tree they want to preserve.  The contractor explained the problems with moving it back.   

 MR. WILKENFELD MOVED TO APPROVE 06-107 FOR ADDITIONAL DRIVEWAY.  MR.TYLER SECONDED, AND MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Phil Templeton, 405 1/2 West Maple St. - Deck and Fence

 Mr. Strayer said the applicant wishes to construct a new deck in the back and fence the back yard to match the existing picket fence. The house is not visible from the street.  The applicant could not be here tonight.
 Mr. Wilkenfeld asked if it would be painted, and Mr. Strayer thought it was stained. 

MR. TYLER MOVED TO APPROVE 06-108 AS SUBMITTED.  MR. WILKENFELD SECONDED, AND MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Doug Wagner, 222 South Main Street - Parking lot

 Once the applicant receives the final permit for demolition of a garage, he wishes to add a parking lot for his business.  Village Council wants GPC to approve a plan on the parking lot before they make a decision on the demolition.  Where the existing garage is there would be a dumpster enclosure like that behind 1st Federal.  The trees will remain and landscaping will add a buffer on the south side.  Mr. Strayer talked to the engineer since GPC was concerned about drainage, and the engineer asked us to state that any excess water run-off causing damage to the property will be the expense of the owner, not the village.
The applicant will not change the direction of the flow.  Actually, this would be very difficult to accomplish.  Ms. O'Keefe asked if there was a problem with the existing water and was told No, it will be paved so the water will run off better. It will not be a problem.
 Mr. Strayer said the property owner to the north said there is a fence separating the properties, and he suggested making it angle parking so cars would not drive into his fence.  Dr. Wagner does not want it to be a permanent solution and wants any future owner to have the option to have it his way.  Ms. O'Keefe asked whether he needs approval to change the parking direction and was told No.  They will have 8 parking spaces.
 Mr. Tyler noted water will run over the cement and into a natural drain. 
 Mr. Strayer said they want two pedestal lights but does not know the type and will come back later for lighting.  Mr. Wilkenfeld does not think we should approve without the lighting plan.
 Mr. Mitchell asked whether this application applies to both properties and was told it was for 222 S. Main only. 
 Ms. O'Keefe asked about striping and Mr. Strayer said that our concern is appearance, not striping.  Mr. Strayer also said the signage will be handled administratively; it's a customer courtesy. 
 The dumpster was discussed and Mr. Strayer said it's a 6' tall dumpster enclosure with fencing, and is part of the application.  Mr. Tyler asked about the latches.
 
MR. WILKENFELD MOVED TO APPROVE APPLICATION 06-088 WITH THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:  (1) IF EXCESS WATER RUN-OFF PROBLEMS ARISE, THEY WILL BE SOLVED AT THE EXPENSE OF THE APPLICANT; (2) THERE WILL BE NO CHANGE TO THE DIRECTION OF THE DRAINAGE FLOW OFF THE PROPERTY; (3) APPROVAL IS PREDICATED UPON VILLAGE COUNCIL'S APPROVAL; (4) WE ARE ADDING TO THE PACKAGE THE JOBES-HENDERSON AERIAL PHOTO OF THE DRAWING TO INDICATE THE PARKING SPACES; AND (5) WE ARE ALSO APPROVING A 12X12' STORAGE FENCE AROUND  THE DUMPSTER LIKE THE ONE AROUND THE 1ST FEDERAL.  MR. TYLER SECONDED, AND MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Work Session:
New Building, South Galway and Newark-Granville Road
 Jeff McInturf presented a sketch of a building they propose for a new 16,000 sq.ft. office/medical facility.  It's a 2 1/2-story building on a 1.8 acre site.  In talking with the Law Director they will need a variance for setback in the TCOD.  This is handled by the GPC as an approval for the development plan.  The variances are (2) from two stories to 2 ½ stories because of the pitched roof and (2) density from 5,000 sq.ft. per acre to 8900 sq.ft.  BZBA will hear this on August 10.
.Mr. McInturf pointed out the changes made from the last work session.  Rather than the 100' setback required in TCOD, the proposed setback would be 90'. 
Mr. Wilkenfeld is concerned about the massiveness of the building. And he wants Mr. Burriss to look at it.  It might not be overbearing from the street.  The applicant said there are a number of angles so they won't have a long wall, and there are different rooflines.
Although welcoming the project, Mr. Mitchell would like to have it differently oriented, but we have resigned ourselves to this plan.  The applicant said they tried to reorient it in every possible way.
Mr. Wilkenfeld asked about sidewalks and was told there is a sidewalk there currently, and Mr. Strayer thought more internal sidewalks would be unnecessary .Mr. Mitchell thought there should be access to other properties.
 Mr. Wilkenfeld felt it will be a well-built project and will bring revenue to the schools, rather than students.  This is the first project that addresses what the community asked for. 
 They would like to break ground in September.  To-Do List:
· Show plans to Mr. Burriss and Mr. Riffle
· Engineer to look at plans
· Tree and Landscape Committee
· Traffic Study
· Perspective Drawings
· Formal Application

 Ms. O'Keefe asked about parking and was told they lost two in the reorientation, so they have 75 spaces.   

Finding of Fact:   MR. TYLER MOVED TO APPROVE THE FINDINGS FOR ITEMS A,B, AND C. UNDER NEW BUSINESS AND  WE FIND THEM CONSISTENT WITH RELEVANT SECTIONS OF THE CODE AS OUTLINED IN THE VILLAGE PLANNER'S MEMO OF JULY 24, 2006.  MR. WILKENFELD SECONDED, AND MOTION WAS UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED.

Adjournment: 8:03.
Next Meetings:  August 14 and 28 [I will be on vacation between these dates, so minutes will be late.  Betty]

Respectfully submitted,
Betty Hullinger

Employee Payroll / Compensation

The Village has thirty-six (36) full-time employees, 16 regular part-time employees and seaonal employees. Village Personnel Policy

Go to My Pay Stub and login.