Granville Community Calendar

T & L Minutes December 14, 2010

Granville Tree and Landscape Commission

Meeting of December 14, 2010

Present: Regis Birckbichler, Don Hostetter, Lynne Kishler, Don Pheneger, Linda Reynolds

Guests: Jim Siegel, Darren Willey, John Smith

The minutes of the November meeting were approved.

Old Business –

Klauder has completed most of the fall planting, with the exception of the paperbark maples in the Village Green, which will be put in as soon as they are available. 

The Granville Garden Club formally proposed at their November meeting that we assume the responsibility of the memorial tree program, and we have accepted.

A generous gift of twenty-five thousand dollars has been allocated for the beautification of Opera House Park from the Hubert and Oese Robinson estate.  We will be formulating a plan soon for the needed repairs, renovation, and replacement of shrubs with this donation.  Michelle brought our desired project to the attention of Village Council and those in charge of distributing the assets of the estate and Lifestyle Museum.    There was an article in the Sentinel explaining how the funds will be used.

Our Tree City USA and Growth Award applications were submitted electronically for the first time by Don Hostetter and Mollie Prasher, after several hours of work on the computer!   Our Growth Award points came from the Gypsy Moth Action Team with Granville High School students, our coordination with the newly-formed Denison University commission on their Tree Campus USA designation, and the addition of the memorial tree program. Don thanked everyone who contributed to the process.  Our computed total forestry expenditure for 2010 was $87,450.

Tree City USA planning will resume in January.  Jim Siegel has been putting together a guest list.  Lynne received an email back from Lisa Bowers with answers to our questions.   John Smith was asked if AEP would like to have a display booth. 

Don reported that Linda Neuenschwander got back to him concerning the large evergreen tree in Bryn Du.  The members of the homeowners association were appreciative of our interest and discussion, and upon further evaluation of the situation, have decided to leave the tree as it is.

New Business –

What do we want to improve in 2011?  Suggestions included offering more support to Linda with the many hours of planting, weeding, and winterizing the Broadway beds/village office/Opera House Park plantings.  Our fall planting tree sites should be decided upon earlier next year (this year’s later start was due to our planning for Tree City USA.)  Don H. would like to again propose the idea of a full time/part time position.  One of the responsibilities would be to update data into our 2008 tree survey, keeping it current and also accessible for planning purposes. 

Continued concern for the health of the uptown trees is also a goal for 2011.  How can the tree pits be improved?  How can we protect the trees from the foot traffic?  Both Lisa Bowers and Ann Bonner have looked at the trees in the Broadway business blocks.  What are other communities doing with their tree pits?  What species are thriving in other downtown areas?

John reported that AEP currently has no work scheduled for the village.  AEP is willing to again donate trees for the Arbor Day tree planting ceremony at the intermediate school.

Darren reported that there is one more round of leaf pick-up.  The service department was busy earlier this month preparing for the Christmas Walking Tour and with the downtown decorations.

The next meeting will be January 11 at 7:00 p.m.

T & L Minutes November 9, 2010

Granville Tree and Landscape Commission

Meeting of November 9, 2010

Members present:  Regis Birckbichler, Don Hostetter, Lynne Kishler, Don Pheneger, Linda Reynolds

Guests: Michelle Lerner, Linda Neuenschwander, Jim Siegel, Darren Willey, Rose Wingert

Minutes of the October meeting were read and corrected, then accepted.

Don Hostetter went before Village Council and presented our 2011 budget plus the additional $2000 for hosting Tree City USA in April.

The three tree bids we received for the fall planting were within $700 for the thirty-three trees.  The lowest was Klauder at $8,495.  Klauder will be planting late November to early December.  Don H., Jim, and Don P. placed the stakes and Lynne prepared the doorhangers and letters to property owners.

Don H. gave a report on the Fall Urban Forestry Conference in Lancaster.  In preparation for the Tree City USA, we looked closely at the mechanics of the conference, esp. audio visual challenges.  We will meet this Friday morning to review our preparations to date.

The Tree City USA application will be done electronically.  Don, Don, Lynne, and Regis attended a webinar tutorial as this is the first year communities will submit in this manner.

Opera House Park –The work was completed at St. Luke’s very carefully and there appears to be no damage to the park from the construction.  The original plantings are from 1982. Now it is time to update the rear seating areas and shrubbery.   A plan will be developed with Frits Rizor, and the work can be done in segments as financially possible.   It was noted that the sandstone base under the fence continues to crumble with time, and Linda has noticed that the base of the bell is cracked. 

Rose Wingert officially reported that the Granville Garden Club wishes to pass over to the Tree and Landscape Commission the Memorial Tree Program, which was started in 1988 by Jane McConnell.  A new program will be initiated, to which the Garden Club will donate the records and the funds, which are $1700.   We will accept the responsibility, and any legal documentation of this will be handled by the Village Law Director.  Susan Davis will be contacted about the pending memorial tree to be in the vicinity of the Presbyterian Church.

Linda Neuenschwander of the Bryn Du Association spoke of the concern residents have for visibility at the corner of Bryn Du Drive and Glyn Tawel because of a large evergreen tree which is in a line of trees and lies between the sidewalk and the street.  There are twelve children who live in the nearby houses and play and ride bikes, etc. in that space.   Residents fear that, especially when there are cars parked along the curb, the tree could block the vision for those making a right turn onto Glyn Tawel.  Commission members have previously surveyed the corner and the healthy evergreen and good discussion followed as to various possibilities.  Regis noted that traffic issues such as these are under police responsibility, and it was also noted that this could be considered under the Streets and Sidewalks committee.  Proposed ideas included moving the tree (which would be difficult, given its mature size), using it as a Christmas tree, or simply trimming it up a few feet from the ground.  Linda will discuss the possibilities with the homeowners’ association.   

Darren reported that leaf pick-up is underway, and tree trimming and removal will continue in the winter months.  The crews will also be setting up the structural needs for the Walking Tour on December 4th.

Jim Siegel announced that Denison University has submitted their Tree Campus USA application, and Lisa Bowers has approved it.

 

The next meeting will be December 14th.

T & L Minutes October 12, 2010

Granville Tree and Landscape Commission

Meeting of October 12, 2010

Present: Regis Birckbichler, Don Hostetter, Lynne Kishler, Don Pheneger

Guests:  Michelle Lerner, Jim Siegel

The minutes of the September meeting were approved.

An article about the GMAT (Gypsy Moth Action Team) and the students involved in the survey ran in both the Granville Sentinel and in the Newark Advocate. 

There are currently 27 trees on the fall planting schedule, with a few more possible.  Don H., Regis, Don P., Lynne, and Jim made driving tours on two days to assess the sites. Don H. will be checking with Terry Hopkins before preparing the final list, which will include native trees and a diversity of species. 

Don H. reported that Terry feels an aggressive plan is needed for the downtown Broadway tree pits.  Changes might include new soil, possibly an irrigation system, and metal grates or pavers.  Three years of professional treatment/feeding have not fixed the problem of declining tree health.  Maple Decline, soil compaction, climate change, air pollution from increased truck traffic, and damage to the roots are all possibly to blame for the failure of the trees to thrive.

Linda has cleaned out the Broadway beds and readied them for winter.  Kudos to her for the beautiful plantings this year!

Memorial Tree Program – Rose Wingert wishes to step down from her position and no one  from the Garden Club is taking her place.  She is going to recommend to the club at their upcoming  meeting that the program be turned over to the Tree and Landscape Commission.  It was noted that when Rose took over the job, she completed a careful, detailed survey and updated the list of all the memorial trees.

The Fall Urban Forestry Conference will be October 28th in Lancaster. 

Michelle was asked to inquire about the abundance of fall web worms this year.  Will a totally defoliated tree come back and do well next year?  Don H. stated that in most cases trees will recover from one defoliation.  Exceptions would likely be small fruit trees. 

The next meeting will be November 9th at 7:00 p.m.

T & L Minutes September 21, 2010

Granville Tree and Landscape Commission

Meeting of September 21, 2010

Present:  Regis Birckbichler, Don Hostetter, Lynne Kishler, Don Pheneger, Linda Reynolds

Guests:  Merrin Jefferies, Michelle Lerner, Skip Wille

Minutes of the August meeting were distributed and approved. 

Gypsy Moth Action Team (GMAT)  - Merrin Jefferies of GHS distributed copies of the initial report, which included results, observations, and final conclusion.  There will be an article in The Sentinel.  Don H. complimented Merrin and the other eleven GHS students for their participation in the Gypsy Moth survey.  They will be continuing the study of the presence of the moth in Granville with an egg mass survey.  Skip feels the exact same study will not be done next year, but may be modified for other Gypsy Moth-related issues. Regis thanked Merrin for her work for the community.

Fall planting sites – Don H. will be talking to Darren and Terry concerning tree removals and site preparedness.  He has been approached by a representative from the Wexford homeowners association who indicated they would like street trees.  Regis suggested asking for their species preference.

Don Hostetter reported that the work at St. Luke’s is nearly complete and that there has been no damage to Opera House Park.  It was agreed a professional opinion is needed for a re-do of some of the older plantings and shrubs in the park.

The Fall Urban Forestry Conference will be held in Lancaster on October 28th.

Report from Michelle – Council has asked about the abundance of fall webworms this year.  Don H. explained the differences between the webworms, tent caterpillars, and bag worms.  The webworms enclose the foliage and have outbreaks every five to seven years.  They are usually killed by frost.  Except for small fruit trees, most infested trees survive.

Don Hostetter prepared a request for funding from the village to host Tree City USA in April.  Our requested estimate of $2400 (to be in addition to the fee charged attendees) was delivered to financial director Carie Kraner.  We are expecting up to 120 attendees from 44 Tree City USA communities.  We have our speakers confirmed for the day, as well as the menu and caterer decided upon.  The Grill on 21st will prepare the noon meal; we will handle the coffee, juice, doughnuts, and fruit in the morning. A tentative time schedule has been mapped out.  A walk-through at the mansion gave us a feel for the set-up of chairs, tables, audio-visual needs, etc.

Linda was complimented for her work on the Broadway beds and the village office beds.  Don Hostetter said people in the community have noticed and mentioned to him how beautiful the plantings look.

The next meeting will be October 12th at 7 p.m.

T & L Minutes August 10, 2010

Granville Tree and Landscape Commission

August 10, 2010

Present:  Regis Birckbichler, Don Hostetter, Lynne Kishler, Don Pheneger,

Guests:  Jim Siegel, Skip Wille, Darren Willey, Merrin Jeffries (GHS student)

Minutes of the July meeting were approved.

Skip introduced Merrin Jeffries, the student spokesperson for the GMAT ( Gypsy Moth Action Team).  She distributed copies of the rough draft analysis and maps of the study.  The students found at the two-week check that all the traps were full of Gypsy Moths.  Despite the numbers of moths found everywhere, there were no large infestations noted in any of the areas. The students may go ahead and make barrels to serve as future traps.  The students will now begin looking for the egg masses, which are cinnamon-colored. There is a Gypsy Moth site within the ODNR website.  Some counties, including Hocking and Northern Franklin County have begun using pheromone to interrupt the mating process instead of using insecticides.

The three fire blight infested pear trees in front of the Kaiser residence on Newark-Granville Road have been removed and the stumps ground by the Services Dept.  Several infested pears were found by Fackler’s.  Lynne has one as well in front of her house on West Elm. 

An ornamental crabapple tree planted last fall at 211 Sunrise St. has died.  It was found to be in excellent condition in the spring, but the base of the tree has been disturbed with landscaping.  It is unknown if a chemical has been applied.  This is not the fault of Klauder nursery; it is believed the homeowners inadvertently caused the problem.  Klauder has offered to replace it at cost this fall with specific instructions given to the residents. 

Don H. asked John Klauder about the possibility of a soil test in the area of the dead tree in front of the car wash on South Main St. to check for lingering chemicals that would make the site unusable.  John advised against having this done.  Communication may take place with the owners of the car wash and the Granville Mill concerning their desires, and the tree will probably not be replaced there.

There was discussion concerning the T & L budget for 2010 with respect to fall tree planting.  For next year, we will request a one-time stipend from the village to cover expenses for hosting the Tree City USA meeting in April 2011.  The proposed registration fee of $20 probably will not cover more than the catered lunch, so we will need additional funds for rental equipment (tables, chairs, etc.)  Don will prepare a formal proposal.  We have started meeting weekly, outside of our regular monthly meetings, solely for the event.

There was a report of a possible EAB infestation from a property owner in Bryn Du in an ash tree across from Alligator Mound on the 16th fairway of the golf course.  Don H., Don P., and Regis met with the concerned resident and found no evidence of EAB. 

 

Darren reported on the continuing progress of the work on College Street, along with planned trimming and preparation of tree sites for the fall planting.  A resident at 230 South Mulberry requested trimming of dead branches off their roof.  Other dead trees noted were in the second Broadway island (a memorial tree) and at Wildwood playground to the left of the castle.

The next meeting will be September 21 at 7 p.m.

T & L Minutes May 11, 2010

Granville Tree and Landscape Commission

Meeting of May 11, 2010

Members present:  Regis Birckbichler, Don Hostetter, Lynne Kishler, Don Pheneger, Linda Reynolds

Guests: Michelle Lerner, Skip Willey

The minutes of the April meeting were distributed and approved. 

The pear trees on North Prospect St., south of the fire station, will be removed.  The village needed to trim the branches against the buildings, and AEP then trimmed the branches on the road side, and there is little shape left.  The ash trees in front of the Del Mar restaurant, on the opposite side of the street, will be removed because of problems with the sidewalk and drainage.  It was suggested these could be replaced with Gingkoes.  The maple trees on South Prospect St. by the side of the post office that were removed earlier could possibly be replaced with tulip poplars.

Skip Wille was introduced.  He is retired from the US Department of Agriculture where he worked with invasive species programs.  He has done gypsy moth surveys in other areas using traps and proposed doing a survey here to help in predicting an outbreak.  Each trap has a one and a half mile range and is placed approximately four feet up from the base of the tree.  Ideal placement date would be July through early to mid August.  Much discussion followed on this topic. We suggested he contact Jim Reding (GHS), Jeremy King, and Tom Schultz (DU) for additional support with the project, which could coordinate with an article in the Sentinel.  Skip provided each of us with a gypsy moth trap, and instructed us to set them with the open ends facing NE and SW.

Don Hostetter has confirmed the date for Tree City USA 2011 with Bryn Du.  Lisa Bowers will do a facilities walk-through with us.  Ann Bonner will be coming Thursday, May 20th to meet with us and examine the issues with the trees at the Colony.

Opera House Park – Work on St. Luke’s church is progressing on schedule with no damage to the landscaping.   Albyn’s will take care of trimming up the bushes and some clean-up.  Frits Rizor will be contacted concerning a re-do of the park’s plants and shrubs in the late summer/fall.

Lynne shared pictures (taken by Regis) of the Arbor Day tree planting ceremony at the intermediate school.  Three ivory silk Japanese tree lilacs and one Ft. McNair horse chestnut  were selected and sites were prepared by Mike Flood.  Five students were honored as winners – Zelli Markgraf,  Kate Duncan, Maggie Michael, Hope Cecrle, and Mathieu Holt received Whit’s gift certificates and t-shirts, and pictures ran in the Sentinel the following week.  Don H. complimented Lynne on a successful event.

There appears to be some brown foliage on the new boxwoods in front of the village office – could be salt damage from salt applied to the steps.

Ruth Davis has purchased a small flowering memorial tree and desires to have it near the Presbyterian church.  We need to choose a site or designate one on North Main St.

Don H. notified us of an upcoming Michigan State webinar on Thursday, May 11th at 7 p.m. on the monoculture effect.

Reports – Michelle reported that the village will not be applying for an ODOT grant for a pathway on Burg Street because the required sidewalk width is ten feet and would result in 69 trees having to be removed.  They will be looking into options for a narrower pathway.

The next meeting will be June 8th at 7:00 p.m.

T & L Minutes April 13, 2010

Granville Tree and Landscape Commission

Meeting of April 13, 2010

Present:  Regis Birckbichler, Don Hostetter, Lynne Kishler, Don Pheneger, Linda Reynolds                Guests:  Jeremy King, Michelle Lerner, Tom McCray, Jim Siegel, Darren Willey

The minutes from the March meeting were distributed and approved.

Jim Siegel and Jeremy King gave an update on the Denison Tree Commission.  Progress is being made toward their goal of becoming a Tree Campus USA by the end of the year.  They are reviewing ordinances from other places as a step in designing their own and are considering developing an arboretum.  A representative from Dawes has consulted with them.  Mark Comisford of Denison suggested they designate existing trees as a memorial trees, with the money collected going towards plaques.  On April 30th their environmental education group will plant three trees with second graders.

Lynne gave an update on the plans for the Arbor Day tree planting and fifth grade poster contest.   Don H. has contacted Whit’s about the gift certificates and t-shirts, and Mollie Prasher is preparing the proclamation to be read. 

Tree City USA will be held April 22nd in Groveport.  Regis, Don H., Don P., and Lynne will attend.

The company we purchased Eradicoat from (to control the Gypsy moths) appears to have ceased operation.  Darren was able to purchase the last of the supply Frits Rizor had on hand.  The area to be treated this year along Newark-Granville Rd. will extend from St. Edward’s church to the green space by The Colony.  Don H. commented that the banding of the trees raises awareness of the gypsy moth and the action taken to control the spread.  The last week of May is EAB Awareness Week.

Kathryn Dunlap of 123 East College Street has requested her street trees, which are healthy locust trees, be removed.  This is not the first time she has made this request.  It is possible the street work on College Street may damage these trees, so Don H. suggested to her that we wait and see how they do following the completion of the work.  Darren reported the roots of the street trees at the corner of College and Pearl were up against the curbs when the work was begun. 

Darren received a call from Harold Greten in The Colony – the homeowners would like to see new trees planted this spring.   Don H. advised them trees would go in with the fall planting.  Ann Bonner will be here on May 20th to meet with homeowners, commission members, and the street department to look at situation at The Colony and offer advice. 

Linda advised that the Broadway beds have been cleaned out and mulched.  The plants won’t be available until the first of June. 

Jim proposed and Don H. agreed that it’s time to consider re-planting some of the shrubbery at Opera House Park.  It could be put in the budget for next year and done in stages.  Darren reported one of the benches in the park was re-done this winter and is in storage. 

Davey will be doing the annual fertilization of the uptown trees and the price is the same as last year - $1755. Both Christmas trees are included as well.

 Darren reported the tree that blew over in a recent storm on Newark-Granville Rd. near The Colony was infested with bugs.  The roots may have been damaged by water/sewer lines.  There is Northern Dogtooth Fungus (according to Don H.) on nearby trees, indicating probable problems inside the trees.

Tom notified us they will finish up trimming in town this week, then move on to Hankinson Rd. and Route 16.  An AEP independent audit of the trimming in the village gave a failing grade.  The PUCO will come in to audit now.  Tom predicted this would happen.

Michelle reported that the village will not be applying for the ODOT grant for the proposed pathway on Burg Street.   The required width of ten feet would mean sixty-nine trees would have to be removed.

Rose Wingert is stepping down as our representative from the Garden Club.  There is a memorial tree request pending – a small flowering tree to be planted or designated near the Presbyterian church.

Don Hostetter advised us of a Michigan State webinar Thursday, April 15 at 7 p.m. on the mono-culture effect.  We set up a time earlier that day to conduct a driving tour check on the trees planted in fall 2009.

The next meeting will be May 11, 2010 at 7 p.m.

T & L Minutes March 9, 2010

Granville Tree and Landscape Commission

Meeting of March 9, 2010

Present:  Regis Birckbichler, Don Hostetter, Lynne Kishler, Don Pheneger, Linda Reynolds

Guests:  Marilyn Andrew, Art Chonko, Jeremy King, Michelle Lerner, Tom McCray, Jim Siegel, Darren Willey

The minutes of the January meeting were reviewed and accepted.  Don Hostetter introduced members   of the commission to the guests present. 

Don H. advised that construction at St. Luke’s church is on target with a completion date in September.  There has been no damage to Opera House Park from the project.

Art Chonko, Denison University, explained the landscape plans for the addition/renovation to Mitchell Center.  The biology department helped choose species that would be beneficial to the student body as well as using native species and returning the area to its current state.  There will be a bio-retention area.  The landscape plans drawn up by EMH&T call for 74 medium to large trees.  They are fairly “dense” with shrubs, and Art advised that the density may be reduced some.  Regis made a motion, and Don Pheneger seconded it, that we send our approval back to the Planning Commission.  The motion carried.  Art gave a tentative starting date as possibly this summer with the moving of roads and removing of some trees.  Don H. noted that there was an attempt made in the plans to save current trees when possible.

Jim Siegel introduced Jeremy King, the new Sustainability Coordinator at Denison.  Jim serves on the new tree committee at Denison, which also includes two biology professors, the grounds supervisor, two students, and Granville residents.   One goal is to make Denison qualify as a Tree Campus USA, the standards of which are similar to the Tree City standards.  Jeremy is looking forward to coordinating projects, sharing information, etc. with our commission.  There will be a tree planting to celebrate Arbor Day.  Denison has a dedicated budget for trees and Tom mentioned there are state grants available they could pursue.   Darren noted that DU students have helped with planting and work at Fanchion Lewis Park.  One thing they would like to do is involve Denison students with the poster contest at the intermediate school.   Jeremy invited us to attend any of their tree committee meetings.

Citizens comments – Marilyn Andrew of 217 West Elm Street has concerns over the recent tree trimming in front of their home done by Asplundh.  She feels it is definitely more extensive than the trimming done four years ago.  The Andrews planted the maple trees themselves many years ago in the tree lawn.  Now, given their trimmed appearance, The Andrews feel they should be removed.  Tom explained that the trimming done was probably crown reduction.  She also had a question about roots pushing up sidewalks and Darren said the village replaces/fixes sidewalk sections with problems caused by tree lawn trees.

Don H. welcomed Michelle Lerner who is the new village council liaison to our commission.  She was approached by a resident on Newark-Granville Rd. who wanted to know if they could remove the burlap wrap around their street trees.  Darren said that it could be removed now – the street department will be replacing it with new Eradicoat-soaked burlap this spring.

Tom reported that AEP has been working with Denison on some of their white pine trees.  Darren reported that the maple trees on Prospect Street by the post office will be removed.  The tree lawn is narrow there and they have been subject to the problems (such as soil compaction, maple decline) of other trees uptown.

Linda distributed copies of Kevin Reiner’s plan for the island beds on West Broadway.  Because of the labor intensive nature of the proposed ground cover (alliums and stachys  “lamb’s ears”), Linda proposed planting a variety of coral bells with a lime green colored leaf.  They would work well with the daffodils already there, would be tolerant of varying amounts of sun and shade, and would be no maintenance.  The commission agreed with her.

 

The next meeting will be April 13th at 7 p.m.

T & L Minutes February 12, 2010

Granville Tree and Landscape Commission

Meeting of January 12, 2010

Present:  Regis Birckbickler, Don Hostetter, Lynne Kishler, Don Pheneger

Guests:  Connie Barsky, Tom McCray, Darren Willey

 

Don Hostetter talked to Marilyn Ortt of the Marietta tree commission and looked at their ordinances.  He will also be looking at other towns’ tree ordinances for comparison.  As a side note, Marietta has a tree appraisal book.

The work at St. Luke’s church is progressing.  The crane is positioned in the rear of the building and part of the stone wall has been dismantled.  Don H. has been in contact with the construction engineer.

Our Tree City USA application was submitted.  Lisa Bowers suggested the Growth Award application needed some additional work, so Don H. rewrote a portion of that.

Don Hostetter distributed copies of the monthly plan for the year to the members to have as a guideline for 2010.

EAB webinars – Don H. has been attending these sessions and suggested the rest of us sit in on them also.  The next one is Thursday, January 14th and will be covering research on insecticides.

Tree City in Granville 2011- We discussed our need to obtain a speaker and to choose a tour spot for the end of the day.  The Cherry Valley Inn arboretum was suggested along with Dawes and a tour of the Bryn Du mansion and grounds.

Regis, Don Pheneger, and Don Hostetter attended an ODNR Stakeholder Meeting, part of the Ohio Forest Resource Assessment and Strategy Program on January 5th.  There is a 160 question survey that is available online for anyone to fill out.  Tree farmers, tree commissioners, and utility foresters were invited to attend. 

Arbor Day will be Friday, April 30th.  Tom McCray offered generously to again donate trees to be planted at the intermediate school. 

Reports:   Tom gave a report on the outages from the December 16th high winds. He reported that AEP has crews trimming on Raccoon Valley Rd.  They may start sooner in the village than expected as icy conditions have prevented them from getting to some sloped areas.

Connie reported there has been additional discussion from Council on the tree trimming issue.  A letter went from Council to Ron Winrod asking AEP to notify the village if trimming anywhere in town is to be more extensive than what was done previously.

Darren reports that one snow plow was down for repairs.  The salt supply is in good shape.  The price of it has gone up considerably from a few years ago.  The Christmas decorations will be coming down this week.   They received many compliments on the decorations this year.

Our budget for 2010 will be $15,000.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 p.m.  The next meeting will be February 9 at 7 p.m.

T & L Minutes January 12, 2010

Granville Tree and Landscape Commission

Meeting of January 12, 2010

Present:  Regis Birckbichler, Don Hostetter, Lynne Kishler, Don Pheneger

Guests:  Connie Barsky, Tom McCray, Darren Willey

 

Don Hostetter talked to Marilyn Ortt of the Marietta tree commission and looked at their ordinances.  He will also be looking at other towns’ tree ordinances for comparison.  As a side note, Marietta has a tree appraisal book.

The work at St. Luke’s church is progressing.  The crane is positioned in the rear of the building and part of the stone wall has been dismantled.  Don H. has been in contact with the construction engineer.

Our Tree City USA application was submitted.  Lisa Bowers suggested the Growth Award application needed some additional work, so Don H. rewrote a portion of that.

Don Hostetter distributed copies of the monthly plan for the year to the members to have as a guideline for 2010.

EAB webinars – Don H. has been attending these sessions and suggested the rest of us sit in on them also.  The next one is Thursday, January 14th and will be covering research on insecticides.

Tree City in Granville 2011- We discussed our need to obtain a speaker and to choose a tour spot for the end of the day.  The Cherry Valley Inn arboretum was suggested along with Dawes and a tour of the Bryn Du mansion and grounds.

Regis, Don Pheneger, and Don Hostetter attended an ODNR Stakeholder Meeting, part of the Ohio Forest Resource Assessment and Strategy Program on January 5th.  There is a 160 question survey that is available online for anyone to fill out.  Tree farmers, tree commissioners, and utility foresters were invited to attend. 

Arbor Day will be Friday, April 30th.  Tom McCray offered generously to again donate trees to be planted at the intermediate school. 

Reports:   Tom gave a report on the outages from the December 16th high winds. He reported that AEP has crews trimming on Raccoon Valley Rd.  They may start sooner in the village than expected as icy conditions have prevented them from getting to some sloped areas.

Connie reported there has been additional discussion from Council on the tree trimming issue.  A letter went from Council to Ron Winrod asking AEP to notify the village if trimming anywhere in town is to be more extensive than what was done previously.

Darren reports that one snow plow was down for repairs.  The salt supply is in good shape.  The price of it has gone up considerably from a few years ago.  The Christmas decorations will be coming down this week.   They received many compliments on the decorations this year.

Our budget for 2010 will be $15,000.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 p.m.  The next meeting will be February 9 at 7 p.m.

Employee Payroll / Compensation

The Village has thirty-six (36) full-time employees, 16 regular part-time employees and seaonal employees. Village Personnel Policy

Go to My Pay Stub and login.